[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 1024X768 displays

dan@s3dawn.ARPA (Dan Peterka) (01/06/90)

I've been curious about the availability and utility of 1024X768 color boards
for the Macintosh when used in conjuction with some of the smaller 14"
monitors like the Sony 1304. Since more pixels are scrunched on a smaller
display, how readable is it? Are the color boards configurable from the control
panel to change resolutions?

Dan Peterka                     S-CUBED                     3398 Carmel Mtn Rd.
dan@scubed.scubed.com           (619) 587-8338              San Diego, CA 92121

lucky@melmac.UMD.EDU (Lucky the Cat) (01/08/90)

I have a SuperMac Spectrum/8 Series II board and a Sony 1304, the 1024X768
resolution is NOT really readable, this board also supports the 640X480 mode an
d it looks fine that way, I think a good compromise would be an 800X600 res. (
and the SM card can support another oscilator) but I haven't tried it yet.
Switching between resolutions on the SM board requires rebooting so it is
not seamless, but you there is a magnify feature that you can use from the
keyboard.

-lucky
 aka. Clicker aka. Chr$

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (01/10/90)

In article <172@scubed.SCUBED.COM>, dan@s3dawn.ARPA (Dan Peterka) writes:
> I've been curious about the availability and utility of 1024X768 color boards
> for the Macintosh when used in conjuction with some of the smaller 14"
> monitors like the Sony 1304. Since more pixels are scrunched on a smaller
> display, how readable is it? Are the color boards configurable from the control
> panel to change resolutions?

I use a 16" monitor with a 1024x768 video card and it is readable, but a
bit too small.  I feel displaying this on a 14" monitor would be
unacceptable.