[net.columbia] What does the mission name "nn/mm-L" mean, anyway?

myers@bnl.UUCP (Eric Myers) (12/18/85)

Can anyone tell me what information is carried in the mission name,
(eg. "mission 23/61-B")?  I gather that the first number just numbers
the missions, (eg. this is the 23rd shuttle mission) but what is the
second number and what does the letter mean?

Eric Myers,  Physics Dept., Brookhaven National Laboratory, Lon Guyland, NY
             myers@bnl.arpa / myers@bnl.bitnet / ...philabs!sbcs!bnl!myers

--

andrew@cadomin.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (12/24/85)

In article <177@bnl.UUCP> myers@bnl.UUCP (Eric Myers) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what information is carried in the mission name,
>(eg. "mission 23/61-B")?  I gather that the first number just numbers
>the missions, (eg. this is the 23rd shuttle mission) but what is the
>second number and what does the letter mean?
>
>Eric Myers,  Physics Dept., Brookhaven National Laboratory, Lon Guyland, NY
>             myers@bnl.arpa / myers@bnl.bitnet / ...philabs!sbcs!bnl!myers

The first two numbers do look like mission numbers, don't they? As for the
rest, the first number (6) is the fiscal year of the mission (1986), the
second is the launch site (1=KSC, 2=Vandenburg), the letter gives the
mission number in the current fiscal year (A, B, C, . . .).  Thus, 61-B
is the second mission of fiscal year 1986, launched from KSC.  Of course,
given the re-re-rescheduling that NASA has to do occasionally, the numbers
get a bit out of sequence.

--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew

All ideas in this message are fictional.  Any resemblance, to any idea,
living or dead, is purely coincidental.