[comp.sys.mac.hardware] patching Apple's HD Setup for non-Apple drives

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (01/10/90)

I bought a Quantum 105MB drive from MacLand, and I'm
not completely thrilled with the formatting software
they send out with it (the software comes from a
company called CRU).

Does anyone know if it would work to patch HDSetup so
it would recognize this drive and deal with it?  And if
so, can you tell us how to do it?

The guy at MacLand said you can edit one of the model
number strings in the HDSetup code segment to be the
string you get back from the drive when you use SCSI
Probe.  This makes HDSetup recognize the drive, but he
couldn't be sure whether HDSetup would work correctly
with it thereafter.

Thanks.

 --dave

chn@lanl.gov (Charles Neil) (01/10/90)

In article <1711@esquire.UUCP>, yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) writes:
 > I bought a Quantum 105MB drive from MacLand, and I'm
 > not completely thrilled with the formatting software
 > they send out with it (the software comes from a
 > company called CRU).
 >
 > Does anyone know if it would work to patch HDSetup so
 > it would recognize this drive and deal with it?  And if
 > so, can you tell us how to do it?
 >
 >  --dave

There is a blurb in the "Tip Sheet" of the May, 1989 issue of
MacUser, p. 197, on how to modify HD SC Setup to recognize a
drive.  Unfortunately, you have to have a drive matching the
size of one of the supported manufacturers.  For example, I
hacked 'Setup to recognize my 330 meg Wren as a Quantum, and
sure enough it decided it was 80 meg.
--

Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978