[comp.sys.mac.hardware] someone air-check me on this, please

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (12/25/89)

Having finally bitten the bullet and purchased 4MB RAM for my lowly Mac SE, I
read Tech Note 179 and then opened the case (not nearly as hard as some have
claimed, BTW) to verify.  But something is still slightly unclear.

TN#179 never came out and clearly stated the meanings of the two (one, in my
SE) marked resistors.  Reasoning from logic, it would appear that one cuts the
resistor marked "256K" to install 1MB SIMMs, and cuts the resistor marked
"1ROW" if both SIMM banks are occupied.  (This resistor is shown in the Tech
Note but is not present in my Mac, which would make sense because it came with
4 256K SIMMs.)  While this seems reasonable, I'm quite aware that if I missed
something -- and, again, the TN never came out and explicitly stated the
meanings of the resistors -- I could end up with a $3000 paperweight; I hope
my unwillingness to perform surgery on the inside of my Mac before making sure
I know what's going on inside it is understandable.  So, would someone please
verify that I've figured out what's going on *before* I take wire-cutters to
the inside of my Mac?  I'd appreciate it no end.

Many thanks in advance.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

jdhill@bbn.com (Jack D. Hill) (01/11/90)

In article <1989Dec24.204916.442@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Having finally bitten the bullet and purchased 4MB RAM for my lowly Mac SE, I
>SE) marked resistors.  Reasoning from logic, it would appear that one cuts the
>resistor marked "256K" to install 1MB SIMMs, and cuts the resistor marked
>"1ROW" if both SIMM banks are occupied.  (This resistor is shown in the Tech
>Note but is not present in my Mac, which would make sense because it came with
>4 256K SIMMs.)

You are correct. Cut out the resistor marked "256K". It should be left in
only when ALL the SIMMs installed are of the 256K variety. And for anyone who
is interested, if you want to upgrade to 2.5 Meg, cut the resistor and swap 1
Meg SIMMs for the 256K SIMMs in sockets marked "SIMM 1" and "SIMM 2" (leaving
in the 2 - 256K SIMMs in sockets 3 & 4). This goes for both the SE and the
PLUS; despite the fact that the SIMM sockets are positioned differently.

Jack

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (01/11/90)

>Reasoning from logic, it would appear that one cuts the resistor marked "256K"
>to install 1MB SIMMs, and cuts the resistor marked "1ROW" if both SIMM banks
>are occupied.

See why you should NEVER use logic?

>I could end up with a $3000 paperweight; I hope my unwillingness to perform
>surgery on the inside of my Mac before making sure I know what's going on
>inside it is understandable.

Uh, well, if you insist...

Cut ONLY the resistor marked 256K. DO NOT cut any other.

(However, if you DID cut too many, send me the useless $3000 paperweight -
I would LOVE to solder back a resistor and get a free SE... ;-} )

This is true whether you replace only two banks or all four. If you replace
only two banks, put the 1Meg parts into the back two SIMM slots. Simple as that.

Hint: Cut only one end of the resistor and angle the body about 45 degrees.
This way, if you ever change your mind, it takes only seconds to solder the
resistor back.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (01/11/90)

In article <1989Dec24.204916.442@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
-Having finally bitten the bullet and purchased 4MB RAM for my lowly Mac SE, I
-read Tech Note 179 and then opened the case (not nearly as hard as some have
-claimed, BTW) to verify.  But something is still slightly unclear.

-                                                  ...So, would someone please
-verify that I've figured out what's going on *before* I take wire-cutters to
-the inside of my Mac?  I'd appreciate it no end.

The first rule is to (almost) never do anything irreversible.  To "remove" a
resistor -- cut ONE END lead, in the middle.  Then you can tack-solder it back
together if you change your mind.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)