[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Can A Mac 3.5 Floppy Be Used In A PC/AT Clone?

forrest@sybase.com (01/05/90)

Let's say I have a Mac SE with 2 floppies and a PC/AT clone that
supports 3.5 inch disks. I get a hard disk for my Mac and don't need
both floppy disks in the Mac anymore. Can I move one of the floppies
from the Mac to the PC/AT? Any thoughts on this matter would be
appreciated.

----
Anything you read here is my opinion and in no way represents Sybase, Inc.

Jon Forrest WB6EDM
forrest@sybase.com
{pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!forrest
415-596-3422

wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (01/08/90)

forrest@sybase.com writes:

>Let's say I have a Mac SE with 2 floppies and a PC/AT clone that
>supports 3.5 inch disks. I get a hard disk for my Mac and don't need
>both floppy disks in the Mac anymore. Can I move one of the floppies
>from the Mac to the PC/AT? Any thoughts on this matter would be
>appreciated.

There exists a PC (half) board to interface an external Apple floppy drive
to a PC.  See my posting "MS-DOS floppies on a Mac Plus" in comp.sys.mac.
Perhaps this can be made to work for an internal one too.  See an ad in a
recent issue of Byte (mail if you want to know the number).

						Kees
--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
DOMAIN: wsinkees@win.tue.nl    BITNET: wsdckeesh@heitue5    FAX: +31-40-436685

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (01/12/90)

forrest@sybase.com writes:

>Let's say I have a Mac SE with 2 floppies and a PC/AT clone that
>supports 3.5 inch disks. I get a hard disk for my Mac and don't need
>both floppy disks in the Mac anymore. Can I move one of the floppies
>from the Mac to the PC/AT? Any thoughts on this matter would be
>appreciated.

Why not hang on to both floppy drives?  It makes disk copying *much*
easier.  I often wish I had another floppy drive.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  so of course these are my views.