[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Query: Mac HP Laserjet Connection

bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) (01/11/90)

I am interested in using an old HP LaserJet with a Mac SE for printing
text.  I understand that there are at least two products on the market
which should make the connection: Grappler LS (Orange MIcro) and JetLink
Express (GDT Softworks).  Does anyone have experience with either or these
products or have other suggestions?

Thanks.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"	Bruce Cohen                    |  UUCP:     ..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!bic
"	Computer Graphics Lab          |  INTERNET: bic@cgl.ucsf.edu
"	S-926                          |  BITNET:   bic@ucsfcgl

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (01/13/90)

In article <12747@cgl.ucsf.EDU> bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:

>I am interested in using an old HP LaserJet with a Mac SE for printing
>text.  I understand that there are at least two products on the market
>which should make the connection: Grappler LS (Orange MIcro) and JetLink
>Express (GDT Softworks).  Does anyone have experience with either or these
>products or have other suggestions?

I think it's time to make a monthly posting on how to connect a Mac to an
HP LaserJet.  The quick answer:  Stay away from the Grappler, it's a kludge.
There are two very good printer drivers:  JetLink Express (as you mentioned)
and MacPrint.  Last Month's MacUser (I think it was the December issue) had
an article comparing them.  The bottom line is essentially this:  If you
want to mainly use the LaserJet's internal fonts and font cartridges, get
MacPrint.  If you want more LaserWriter-like capabilities, use JetLink (it
has some really excellent outline fonts that MacPrint lacks).  One warning:
If your LaserJet is _really_ old, like the _original_ rather than at least
a LaserJet plus, the damned thing doesn't have enough memory to make full
use of Jetlink's graphics mode.  It can print about a quarter of a page at
300 DPI, and _almost_ a full page of _double spaced_ type at 150 DPI.  For
anything else, you have to use 75 DPI, which comes out looking like a good
dot matrix printer.
I have JetLink, a Mac SE/30, and an original LaserJet.  If you have any
more questions, drop me some email.

--James Preston
  jsp@key.com or pacbell!key!jsp

cavrak@uvm-gen.UUCP (Steve Cavrak,Waterman 113,656-1483,) (01/14/90)

 In article <12747@cgl.ucsf.EDU> bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:

>I am interested in using an old HP LaserJet with a Mac SE for printing
>text.  I understand that there are at least two products on the market
>which should make the connection: Grappler LS (Orange MIcro) and JetLink
>Express (GDT Softworks).  Does anyone have experience with either or these
>products or have other suggestions?

I'm happy with my SE + HP Laserjet (not a plus!) and:

a.  Public domain printer driver from the Info-Mac archives (Sumex)
b.  Apple A2C0312 cable ("Apple IIe Modem-8 Cable)
c.  Adobe Type Manager

All of this works with text and graphics though it is a bit slow at 300 dpi!
(150 dpi is my standard setup).