[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II memory upgrade...

pa1743@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jethro Bodean) (01/16/90)

	Okay -  here it is:
        My MacII (real mac II no suffix w/ PMMU chip) has 2 meg
currently and I have banks of 1 meg chips = 4 meg.  They are SOJ and
100 ns.  So I feel that (after backing up) I'm ready to replace one
of the banks resulting in 5 meg internal. Now here's the question...

	I have two different looking sets of memory in the two
banks.  In bank A it is taller and there are resistors on the boards
and in Bank B they are shorter and are NEC chips.  Can I put the 4
megs into either bank and if so which type of chips should I
replace?  I'm assuming the A-bank are the Apple-tm chips that came
in the machine and the smaller B-bank chips are dealer installed and
therefor I should go with the Apple chips -  but do I have to put
the 4 meg in Bank A necessitating shifting the Bank A 256s into bank
B and is that worth it?????

	I realize this is probably a tad confused but I think anyone
familar with the requirements this is nothing new.... anything I
should be aware of as I trek into the interior of my mac?  and will
I have to rebuild my desktop?  I don't see why I should have to but
I heard that somewhere????

	Anyway... Thanks in advance.... *8^}
		-tk   Rebel w/o a job....
                pa1743%sdcc13@ucsd.edu
=================
Always have fun, but always Always burn the negatives... -SP
=================

rsutc@fornax.UUCP (Rick Sutcliffe) (01/16/90)

In article <6116@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, pa1743@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jethro Bodean) writes:

>  do I have to put
> the 4 meg in Bank A necessitating shifting the Bank A 256s into bank
> B and is that worth it?????

You should put the first set of 1 Meg chips in Bank A, but there is no reason
to move the ones from B.

> I have to rebuild my desktop?  I don't see why I should have to but
> I heard that somewhere????

I have not heard that you have to rebuild the desktop, but I just did this
very brain surgery on two Mac II's and one of them had a cat until I
rebuilt the desktop on two of the four partitions.  Don't know why.

Rick Sutcliffe 	Associate Professor		\ (89-90 only) Visitor
		Computing Science & Mathematics	\ School of Computing Science
		Trinity Western University	\ Simon Fraser University
		7600 Glover Rd.,		\ Burnaby, B.C. Canada V5A 1S6
		Langley B.C. Canada V3A 4R9
	e-mail: Rick_Sutcliffe@cc.sfu.ca OR Compuserve 76475,3406