[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Help, Monitors for MacIIcx.

cmered@sagpd1.UUCP (Craig Meredith) (01/17/90)

	Hello comp.sys.mac'ers

	I am currently looking for a 2 page display with 72 DPI
	monichrome monitor, that can be used on the MacIIcx.

	I am looking for something in the $1100 or less range, which
	should include the card.  Any information, status, companies,
	etc that you can supply me with would be much appreciated.

	I will post a summary back to the net.

				Thanks -- Craig, mac is the future.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/17/90)

cmered@sagpd1.UUCP (Craig Meredith) writes:
> I am currently looking for a 2 page display with 72 DPI monichrome monitor,
> that can be used on the MacIIcx [...] in the $1100 or less range

	On my cx, I've got the Moniterm Viking 19".  I paid about $1450, with
video card.  I love it; very sharp.  A colleague has 2 of them.  Of the 3, I
think mine actually has the worst image, but it's still very very good.

	Another colleague just got a RasterOps 19" monochrome for about $1150
with card from Software That Fits, but I'm not impressed.  The image was
horrible; out of focus in patches, geometric distortions in various parts of
the screen, some of the scan lines even looked like they were shoved over a
pixel.  In addition, the bezel on the monitor was broken when it came (with
no visible damage to the shipping carton).  We fixed the bezel with some
plastic solvent, and I diddled with the focus, etc and got the image quite a
bit better (but still not perfect), but over all, I'm disapointed in the
quality.  There is also a design mistake in the monitor.  The video cable
does not detach from the monitor; this makes moving it a bit of a pain.  It
also makes it awkward to take the monitor cover off to adjust the focus,
since you have to disconnect the video cable at the mac end and then thread
the whole cable back through the hole on the cover where it comes out.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"