[comp.sys.mac.hardware] $69 / megabyte!

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (01/13/90)

WoW!  $69 / megabyte is pretty awesome but I agree that all SIMMs
should be shipped in those static-proof plastic bags and even a box to
prevent shock damage.  Has anyone beaten this priceyet?  What are your
favorite reputable memory dealers out there?

I've heard that Chip Merchant is good.

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (01/13/90)

Chip Merchant is cheap. You get what you pay for...
(i.e. 100ns, no credit cards, lousy service ...)

I like technology works. Very good second day delivery
overseas.

h+
--
   ---  Stay alert !  -  Trust no one !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
             h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (01/14/90)

In article <2720@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>Chip Merchant is cheap. You get what you pay for...
>(i.e. 100ns, no credit cards, lousy service ...)
>
>I like technology works. Very good second day delivery
>overseas.

I paid a visit to the Chip Merchant yesterday - picked up 4
1Mbyte SIMMS ***80ns*** for $69 each. Left with them minutes later.
All 4Mb functioning fine. For $90 I could have had 1Mbyte x9 bits
rather than x8 bits. (I wonder if the x9's will work on the SPARC
- sun is quoting $2000 per 4Mbyte upgrade!!).

I for one think I got good value in todays chip market. It's good to have
the chip shop around the corner all we need now is the fish :-).

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)
  ...alen%shappy.uucp@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
  ...alen@crash.cts.com

Disclaimer - just another happy customer but I might put in a bill for this
posting later :-)

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (01/15/90)

In article <2720@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>Chip Merchant is cheap. You get what you pay for...
>(i.e. 100ns, no credit cards, lousy service ...)
>
>I like technology works. Very good second day delivery
>overseas.
>
>h+
>--
>   ---  Stay alert !  -  Trust no one !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
>             h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte
>                    longer .sig available on request

What is your back-up for this comment?

I have dealt with chip merchant half-a-dozen times this year (ie the last
12 months) and have been very satisfied.

First of all, the simms have consistently been Samsung surface mount 80ns.
At the beginning they had mixed 80/100 ns stock, but they always told you
what was on hand, and would only ship 80's if you asked and they had them.

I will grant that their shipping is a little disturbing. Just some antistat
buble wrap in a sturdy corrogated box. But I have yet to have any simms
damaged, so I guess this is sufficient.

Also, their service is minimal, but good. One time they shipped something
I had ordered UPS RED by Blue label by mistake (ie 2nd day vs overnite) well
the next shipment they shipped RED for free to make it up.  I like the fact
that they wont take an order if they dont have simms in stock to ship.  Since
they have an 800 number it doesnt cost me anything to just keep calling till
they are in stock.  I prefer this to having an order go into limbo and not
knowing when they will ship.

Anyway, I am just bothered by the tone of the note.  I have not dealt with Tech
nology Works, though I did speak to them on the phone.  I grant that they may
have a few more frills (like their opening tool) but I dont need these and at
the time of my first order they were more than $15 more per simm than Chip
Merchant.

As to warranty, TW is lifetime and CM is 5 year, but I would be really suprised
(actually probably depressed) if I am still using the same measly 1 meg
simms 5 years from now.  I should be up to 16 meggers by then.

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (01/16/90)

In article <2720@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>Chip Merchant is cheap. You get what you pay for...
>(i.e. 100ns, no credit cards, lousy service ...)
>
>I like technology works. Very good second day delivery
>overseas.

Where do you get 100ns from?  People on here have been quoting 80ns from
Chip Merchant for weeks <months?>.

I ordered 4 1 meg SIMMS from them just before Xmas.
I placed my order at 12pm on a Monday, they arrived 10:30am on Wednesday,
this was rural Minnesota as well, so thanks to UPS on that.

The SIMMS have been working flawlessly ever since I put them in.

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (01/16/90)

In article <19003@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
[Chip merchant has bad service]
>What is your back-up for this comment?

Well, they won't sell to me.

>they have an 800 number it doesnt cost me anything to just keep calling till

Which is unusable outside the states.
>... Technology Works ...
>the time of my first order they were more than $15 more per simm than Chip
>Merchant.

But they did offer $15 back per 256k SIMM, now didn't they ?

>As to warranty, TW is lifetime and CM is 5 year, but I would be really
>suprised (actually probably depressed) if I am still using the same
>measly 1 meg simms 5 years from now.  I should be up to 16 meggers by then.

No, but if you sell your mac it's a good argument. I had them installed by
an apple authorized service center, too.

Chip merchant doesn't take credit cards, and doesn't ship overseas.

Technology works shipped FedEx and all the hassle was handled - I just
gave them my VISA number and everything was smooth.

That's my mileage.

h+
--

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/17/90)

> Where do you get 100ns from?  People on here have been quoting 80ns from
> Chip Merchant for weeks <months?>.

	When I ordered from CM a few months ago, they were advertising
100ns, but when the SIMMs showed up, they were 80ns.  I didn't complain.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (01/17/90)

In article <10401@zodiac.ADS.COM>, jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:

> WoW!  $69 / megabyte is pretty awesome but I agree that all SIMMs
> should be shipped in those static-proof plastic bags and even a box to
> prevent shock damage.  Has anyone beaten this priceyet?  What are your
> favorite reputable memory dealers out there?
>
> I've heard that Chip Merchant is good.

The problem with Chip Merchant and some other firms is that they will
NOT accept Visa (or any other plastic).  As it turned out, Peripheral
Outlet of Ada, OK had a price that was almost equivalent to Chip
Merchant AFTER the 3% surcharge for Visa and the shipping charge.

I don't like paying a company before I get merchandise, and the
charge cards DO give protection

Stuart "5 Meg Mac" Ericson
--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories    | Note: area code 312
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215                  |   becomes 708 on

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (01/17/90)

In article <12871@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson)

>The problem with Chip Merchant and some other firms is that they will
>NOT accept Visa (or any other plastic).  As it turned out, Peripheral
>Outlet of Ada, OK had a price that was almost equivalent to Chip
>Merchant AFTER the 3% surcharge for Visa and the shipping charge.
>
>I don't like paying a company before I get merchandise, and the
>charge cards DO give protection
>
>Stuart "5 Meg Mac" Ericson
>--
>Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories    | Note: area code 312
>USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215                  |   becomes 708 on
>ARPA:   stuart@ihlpa.att.com    2000 N. Naperville Road   |   11/11 Thanks to
>Voice:  (312) 979-4491          Naperville, Il 60566-7033 |   Illinois Bell :-

A note on this.  I had the same discomfort the first time (of many since)
that I palced an order with the Chip Merchant.  I asked at my bank, and
they said that it is possible to stop payment on a certified check; that
all the certification says is that the money was there and was set aside,
but it can still be withheld.

So, you have some time (at least a couple of days) to check things out.

Josh

In <12871@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) writes:
> The problem with Chip Merchant and some other firms is that they will
> NOT accept Visa (or any other plastic).

CM agreed to accept our purchase order (i.e. they bill us and we pay after
we get the merchandise and the invoice).  Granted, they tacked on a
surcharge (I think it was a couple of bucks a meg on the then-current
$89/meg price) but they still came out cheaper than most places.