[comp.sys.mac.hardware] CD-ROM player for both Mac and PS/2

st5@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (01/17/90)

I'm interested in getting a CD-ROM player mainly for use on the
Mac, but I also need to access several CDs from the PS/2.  Could some
kind-hearted soul suggest a player that might fit well in both environments
and what struggles I might encounter in switching back and forth.
Thank you.

"The acrid, unpleasant smell of burnt poetry." -P.G. Wodehouse

Christopher Stuart		Bitnet: ST5@CORNELLA
215 CCC				Internet: ST5@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
Cornell University		Compu$erve: 76304,522
Ithaca, NY  14853		(607) 255-8304

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (01/17/90)

In article <19715@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> st5@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
> I'm interested in getting a CD-ROM player mainly for use on the
> Mac, but I also need to access several CDs from the PS/2.

I have a catalog from the "Bureau of Electronic Publishing" (201)
857-4300, Fax (201) 857-3031.  In this catalog they list drives by Denon,
NEC, and Toshiba that have both IBM and Macintosh interfaces.  As I
understand it, all you'd need on the IBM side is a SCSI interface card,
cable, and software.  All you need on the Mac side is cable and software.

> Could some kind-hearted soul suggest ... what struggles I might
> encounter in switching back and forth.

The violent wrenching of your mind as you try to accomodate two different
styles of computing... :-)

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (01/19/90)

In article <6211@internal.Apple.COM> blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) writes:
> In article <19715@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> st5@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU writes:
> > I'm interested in getting a CD-ROM player mainly for use on the
> > Mac, but I also need to access several CDs from the PS/2.
>
> I have a catalog from the "Bureau of Electronic Publishing" (201)
> 857-4300, Fax (201) 857-3031.  In this catalog they list drives by Denon,
> NEC, and Toshiba that have both IBM and Macintosh interfaces.  As I
> understand it, all you'd need on the IBM side is a SCSI interface card,
> cable, and software.  All you need on the Mac side is cable and software.

Yes, each of these drives will work with *either* a PC-compatible, *or*
a Mac, in the sense that (given the appropriate SCSI card for the PC, and
the right software) you can connect it to either and it will work. The
Bureau's people claim to know how, and are willing to sell you solutions.
I haven't taken them up on it (yet). Does anybody have experiences (good
or bad) with those people?

On the other hand, if you actually want to use your drive with *both*,
switching it from one to the other as desired, you'll have a lot more
problems. For one, you'll probably have to reboot both machines anytime
you make a switch, no matter how cleverly you do it. Then you need to
consider proper termination of both SCSI buses, both with and without your
CD drive on them. That should be simple if the CD drive is the only
(external) SCSI device on both machines. And then of course there's the
reliability problem of continually connecting and disconnecting devices
on your SCSI bus(es).

I suppose I could build a switchbox. It would need to connect a common
"tail" of SCSI devices to one of two "head" buses, while properly terminating
the other one. I'm not a hardware guy though - comments, anybody?

In gray theory, it should be possible to put both the PC and the Mac onto
one unified SCSI bus. I'm considering the possibility, but what I'm hearing
isn't encouraging. The Mac's SCSI implementation is said to be lacking
important features of the standard (proper arbitration, for one), and
typically each SCSI controller thinks it owns the world. It might work
if you get a PC SCSI controller than can be switched to be an ID other than
zero (your Mac internal disk, if any) and seven (the Mac). Seeing how I have
large SCSI disks on both my Mac and my PC, I'm somewhat reluctant to
experiment.

Unfortunately, the PC/Mac issue for CD ROMS is important. As of today,
about 70% of all CD ROM titles (of my random sample) seem to come with
PC retrieval software, with the remaining 30% being Mac-ish disks.  I don't
want to give up on either side. But what's a user to do? I'm not sure...
  -- perry
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		     perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **	   ...!pacbell!key!perry

jdu@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (john.d.unruh) (01/19/90)

In article <1391@key.COM> perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:

>Unfortunately, the PC/Mac issue for CD ROMS is important. As of today,
>about 70% of all CD ROM titles (of my random sample) seem to come with
>PC retrieval software, with the remaining 30% being Mac-ish disks.  I don't
>want to give up on either side. But what's a user to do? I'm not sure...
>  -- perry
>--
>Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		     perry@arkon.key.com
>** What good signature isn't taken yet? **	   ...!pacbell!key!perry

I have used some reference CD ROMs in a library on a PC.  The data comes from
several different vendors, and the user interface to access the data differs
from vendor to vendor.  As an occasional user (three or four times a year), I
find it difficult to use despite being accomplished with computers.

I think the right solution is to invent a standard way to store the information
on the CD ROM and then to have a user interface program for each type of
computer (PC, MAC, ATARI ST, AMIGA, etc) that comes on a floppy for that machine
or is sold separately.  Then the information publishers can put out the
information for the largest possible market and the information users can have
a compatible interface to the CD ROM media from all vendors.  With current
technology, perhaps a relational database and standardized image and sound
formats would solve the problem.

In a way what we have is like designing CD players (audio) that all play the
same CDs, but that have interfaces (audio out) that is not standardized.
In that sort of system, only those with the "right" receiver, integrated amp,
or preamp could use the CD player.

John Unruh

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/20/90)

In article <12771@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> jdu@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (john.d.unruh) writes:

> I think the right solution is to invent a standard way to store the
> information on the CD ROM and then to have a user interface program for
> each type of computer (PC, MAC, ATARI ST, AMIGA, etc) that comes on a
> floppy for that machine or is sold separately.  Then the information
> publishers can put out the information for the largest possible market
> and the information users can have a compatible interface to the CD ROM
> media from all vendors.  With current technology, perhaps a relational
> database and standardized image and sound formats would solve the
> problem.

Much of the standardization needed to do this is already in place.  CD-ROMs
can be written in the ISO 9660 format (or its older cousin High Sierra).
These formats define a standard for the CD-ROM's table-of-contents and
directories, file-naming conventions, and so forth.  It's entirely
possible to have a CD-ROM which is acceptable to both the Mac (via the
ISO 9660 Foreign File interface) and to an MS-DOS machine (via the
CD-ROM Extensions), and to other machines as well.

It isn't even necessary to ship retrieval software on a floppy.  ISO 9660
allows vendors to define some system-specific extensions to the directory
format, and to define "associated" files.  Apple has defined a set of
extensions specific to the Macintosh;  with these extensions, you can
store a file's resource fork, set file types and owners, and provide
specific icons for files.  A CD-ROM using these extensions remains
ISO-9660 conformant, and can be read by an MS-DOS machine, and Amiga,
etc.

I just received a copy of the GRIPS CD-ROM... it contains image-processing
programs, and many hundreds of megabytes of image data.  It contains
executable MS-DOS programs, as well as double-clickable Mac applications.
Other vendors' applications could be placed on the disk, as well.

The next step will be for information-sellers to adopt one or more
standard formats for the _contents_ of information files... standard
databases, etc.  I suspect that individual information-providers will
make their own decisions about which formats to support, based on what
they see as their target markets, the quality of standard-conformant
retrieval engines on various platforms, etc.

> In a way what we have is like designing CD players (audio) that all
> play the same CDs, but that have interfaces (audio out) that is not
> standardized.  In that sort of system, only those with the "right"
> receiver, integrated amp, or preamp could use the CD player.

Yup.  Or like the situation with Quad sound a decade ago.

I think it will get better, now that there's a vendor-independent,
international standard for the disk directories and table-of-contents.
Information vendors will find it to their advantage to use this
standard, and to use a database format which is compatible with multiple
runtime environments... this will increase their potential market,
without forcing them to reimplement everything from the ground up,
press multiple runs of CD-ROM, etc.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (01/20/90)

In comp.sys.mac.hardware perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:
<
< Unfortunately, the PC/Mac issue for CD ROMS is important. As of today,
< about 70% of all CD ROM titles (of my random sample) seem to come with
< PC retrieval software, with the remaining 30% being Mac-ish disks.  I don't
< want to give up on either side. But what's a user to do? I'm not sure...
<   -- perry

Can the PC be connected to LocalTalk?

If so, the solution is going to be slow (unless you can use Ethernet hardware
or something) but manageable. Connect the CD-ROM to the Mac, publish it with
your favorite AppleShare-lookalike (my own should be ready sometime, too :-)
and mount the disk from the PC. Basically, no problem.

--
Matthias Urlichs