[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SCSI PROBLEMS

david_islander_hughes@cup.portal.com (01/10/90)

I have a real problem with my SCSI system. I have Mac2-x with 4 meg,
140 Rodime, Apple Scanner, Irwin Tape Backup, Apple CD. Usual
swarm of inits.

No matter what I do, I can't get the system to boot with more than one
SCSI device at a time. I've tried chnaging cables, moving terminators, etc.

One of two things happens;
(1)  System will boot, happy mac comes on then goes to ? mac.
(2) Screen goes black, makes that dirge tone and a three-note chime will sound

Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it? Answer to net or te-mail
will summarize for benefit of all.

Hafa Adai from Sunny Guam

gosselin@CLIK.QC.CA (Pascal Gosselin) (01/13/90)

My friend, you have fallen pray to the infamous BUILT-IN SCSI TERMINATOR on
RODIME hard disks.

To get your setup working, put the RODIME at the end of your SCSI chain, with
no other terminators present.  If problems persist, ADD a terminator BEFORE
entering the FIRST device.   This is actually what Apple officially recommends!

The other solution is to open up the Rodime 140 and remove the terminator
that is inside the drive's housing (on the SCSI controller board, near the
SCSI connection on the Hard disk....

Good luck...

Pascal Gosselin 				|    gosselin@clik.qc.ca    |
SIMCO, Inc. - A division of Computer Connection	| uunet!clik.qc.ca!gosselin |

6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) (01/18/90)

From article <25762@cup.portal.com>, by david_islander_hughes@cup.portal.com:
> I have a real problem with my SCSI system. I have Mac2-x with 4 meg,
> 140 Rodime, Apple Scanner, Irwin Tape Backup, Apple CD. Usual
> swarm of inits.
>
> One of two things happens;
> (1)  System will boot, happy mac comes on then goes to ? mac.
> (2) Screen goes black, makes that dirge tone and a three-note chime will sound

I've had this problem too.  It was a pain-in-the-ascii to figure out,
too.  My problem was that I had too many terminators.  From what I know,
the Apple Scanner and the CD-ROM do _not_ have terminators.  I have no
idea aobut the other two.  What you should probably do is hook up the
Scanner, CD, Rodime and see if the system works.  Then take out the
Rodime and put in the Tape Backup.  Check again.  That's what worked for
me.

 The other problem could be identical SCSI-IDs.  These are even worse.
 I have not cure.  :-)

Good luck!
  |Puneet Pasrich  |  Internet:  6600bike@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
  |Karate Kid      |  Bitnet:    6600bike@ucsbuxa.bitnet    |
  |'Just do it!'   |                                        |

CJENKINSR@admdev.cut.oz (Richard Jenkins) (01/20/90)

In article <3633@hub.UUCP>, 6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) writes:
> From article <25762@cup.portal.com>, by david_islander_hughes@cup.portal.com:
>> I have a real problem with my SCSI system. I have Mac2-x with 4 meg,
>> 140 Rodime, Apple Scanner, Irwin Tape Backup, Apple CD. Usual
>> swarm of inits.
>>
>> One of two things happens;
>> (1)  System will boot, happy mac comes on then goes to ? mac.
>> (2) Screen goes black, makes that dirge tone and a three-note chime will sound
>
> I've had this problem too.  It was a pain-in-the-ascii to figure out,
> too.  My problem was that I had too many terminators.  From what I know,

[stuff deleted]

--

I have heard rumours of some of the early Apple Scanners having a SCSI problem.
When I use our scanner I sometimes appear to have one too many terminators, as

Q:What happened in April '89?

OmniPage 2.1, and the new Omni utilities, according to the blurb, will only
work with Apple Scanners shipped after April '89
Any ideas?
Richard Jenkins      Tel: (09) 351 7864                      AppleLink:AUST0176
PC Support Group     Fax: (09) 351 2673            ACSnet:cjenkinsr@mail.cut.oz
Curtin University    Perth, Western Australia    psi%050529452300030::cjenkinsr