[comp.sys.mac.hardware] NuBus Serial Expansion

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/20/90)

Greetings,

  I'm working on a project that may need to drive multiple serial devices
(more than two) from a Mac II, and I've heard that there is a NuBus card that
has several serial ports on it.

  Could anybody tell me:  Who makes it, where I find it, how many serial ports
it has, HOW MUCH IT COSTS, speed, compatibility, and any experience you've had
with it?

Many thanks,
--Mike

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (01/21/90)

In article <1444@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>Greetings,
>
>  I'm working on a project that may need to drive multiple serial devices
>(more than two) from a Mac II, and I've heard that there is a NuBus card that
>has several serial ports on it.
>
>  Could anybody tell me:  Who makes it, where I find it, how many serial ports
>it has, HOW MUCH IT COSTS, speed, compatibility, and any experience you've had

I make/sell a 4-port serial card called 'CommCard'. It goes for $450 (ask me
about prices for registered Apple developers). It has 4 DIN-8
connectors with the same wiring as the Mac's built-in ports so you
can use the same cables.

You can program it 2 ways, either using Apple's Communications Toolbox
(highly recomended), or by making device driver calls in the same manner
as the built-in serial ports (as per IM II/IV) but by opening them using
different names other than '.AIn' etc. Existing applications can also
use a 'Serial Mapper' which redirects the builtin ports to CommCard
ports.

For more info:

	Taniwha Systems Design
	2206 Roosevelt Ave
	Berkeley
	CA 94703
	(415)540-5557
	UUCP: ..!mtxinu.com!taniwha!paul
	Applelink: CAMPBELL.P

	Paul
--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
"Why is it that the US can invade Panama but not the Vatican Embassy?"