[net.columbia] Looking for interesting things to s

kerry@ctvax (12/26/85)

Well, you should go see the Johnson Space Center. It is on Highway 1 in Houston
and there are many signs letting you know how to get there. The exhibits there
are really interesting  ( a Saturn V is lying outside the building on its side)
and historical.

Also of interest in Houston, is the San Jacinto monument and the battleship
Texas. The San Jacinto monument is dedicated to the battle where Texas won its
independence from Mexico. The monument is a large obelisk somewhat like the
Washington Monument in D.C. The grounds are nice and the monument is near
the Houston harbor area (you can watch the big oil tankers arrive).

The battleship Texas is anchored relatively near the S. J. monument and tours
are given so you can walk around on the deck or climb in the fo'c's'le of the
huge ship. This ship, a WWII vintage battleship, was really impressive the
last time I had a look at her.

Of course, the famous honky-tonk,"Gilleys", in Pasedena (suburb of Houston)
is a "must-see". Don't forget your cowboy hat and boots.

Also, you can drive about an hour and see Galveston. This is a bay town just
south of Houston and although it is not Malibu, you can walk along the
seashore and ride a ferry across the bay. Check out the shrimp and Cajun
cooking in some of the little "hole-in-the-wall" places--really good!

And, Houston has some really fine places to shop. For instance, the Galleria
and numerous malls are easy to get to if you want to pick up some souvenirs.

******************************
A word of warning, the traffic in Houston is atrocious! Try to be off the
freeways and highways before rush hour. I have spent many hours sitting in
my car, watching the fellow's bumper in front of me.

gm@trsvax (12/27/85)

When you go to the Johnson Space Center, call ahead and ask for
reservations to the "extended tour". They have a self-guided tour which hits
most of the highlights, but the extended covers stuff they don't let the
general public look at. Stuff like the mission control room and the weightless
environment simulator. Plan on spending most of the day there if you want
to catch everything. It's free and well worth it.

						------------
						George Moore (gm@trsvax.UUCP)

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (01/09/86)

In article <34000001@ctvax>, kerry@ctvax writes:

>Well, you should go see the Johnson Space Center. It is on Highway 1 in Houston
>and there are many signs letting you know how to get there. The exhibits there
     That's NASA 1, not Highway 1.  Go south on I45 and take the NASA 1 exit.
After a few miles NASA is on your left, the visitor's gate is the first one
and is well marked.

> Also, you can drive about an hour and see Galveston. This is a bay town just
> south of Houston and although it is not Malibu, you can walk along the
> seashore and ride a ferry across the bay. Check out the shrimp and Cajun
> cooking in some of the little "hole-in-the-wall" places--really good!

     The JSC, by the way, is on the way to Galveston.

> ******************************
> A word of warning, the traffic in Houston is atrocious! Try to be off the
> freeways and highways before rush hour. I have spent many hours sitting in
> my car, watching the fellow's bumper in front of me.
     Understatement.  However, at non-rush hour times, the traffic moves
REAL FAST, so you can get where you are going very quickly (except for the
fact that nothing is very close).

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

		 U.S. Mail:		 Southwestern Bell
		P.O. Box 5899		345-0932
		Austin, TX 78763-5899