[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mass Micro 44 MB removeable startup problem

wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu (W.L. Ware) (01/20/90)

I have a Mass Micro 44 Mb removeable and it is a great drive, but when I
start up my computer I usually have to restart it in order for the drive
to mount. The problem is the drive takes to long to get up to speed, and
I guess the Mac doesn't accept it as a SCSI device until the drive is
fully ready.

My question is, is ther anyway to mount the drive after the computer is
on? Like from the finder?

Lance

*W.L.Ware                                             LANCEWARE SYSTEMS*
*WLW2286%ritvax.cunyvm.cuny.edu                    Value Added reseller*
*WLW2286%ultb.isc.rit.edu                          Mac and IBM Access. *

gosselin@CLIK.QC.CA (Pascal Gosselin) (01/24/90)

In article <1966@ultb.isc.rit.edu> wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu (W.L. Ware) writes:
>I have a Mass Micro 44 Mb removeable and it is a great drive, but when I
>start up my computer I usually have to restart it in order for the drive
>to mount. The problem is the drive takes to long to get up to speed, and
>I guess the Mac doesn't accept it as a SCSI device until the drive is
>fully ready.
>
>My question is, is ther anyway to mount the drive after the computer is
>on? Like from the finder?

Hi,

   There is a simple solution, include the appropriate INIT file on your
startup disk. I'm not sure if Mass Micro includdes such an INIT, but any
other manufacturers' Syquest INIT file should work.

   There is also a problem with the SCSI on the Syquest and the IIcx,
you MUST have a terminator installed INSIDE the IIcx, if you do not yet
have an internal SCSI Hard disk installed. You must have this port
terminated if you wish to use more than one external SCSI device on
a IIcx (like a Syquest removable + a standard hard drive).

   The whole thing is quite tricky, it took me a couple of days to figure
out the fact that an internal terminator had to be hacked-up under
certain conditions !!!!

   Hope this helps...

-Pascal