[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II Colorboards

burian@bgsu-stu.UUCP (John M. Burian Esq.) (01/18/90)

I have it from a fairly reliable source that there is another Mac II 24-bit
color card out, for a price comparable to the RasterOps 264 board.
Furthermore, said card is reputed to have a (approx $300) Quickdraw
accellerator that plugs onto the board itself (where RasterOps accelerator
takes up another NuBus slot).  Yes?  No?  Sort of but not quite?  Has
anybody heard anything to this effect, and if so, what company produces
this mystery board, and are they any good?  I wanna know...

						- John

: "Our Sun 4 took up smoking, but found           John M. Burian            :
:  it to be detrimental to it's health."          burian@barney.bgsu.edu    :
- - - - - - - - 8< - Valuble Coupon - Clip and Save! - >8 - - - - - - - - - -

schraag@fwi.uva.nl (Joost Schraag (I81)) (01/18/90)

In article <5343@bgsu-stu.UUCP> burian@bgsu-stu.UUCP (John M. Burian Esq.) writes:

>I have it from a fairly reliable source that there is another Mac II 24-bit
>color card out, for a price comparable to the RasterOps 264 board.
>Furthermore, said card is reputed to have a (approx $300) Quickdraw
>accellerator that plugs onto the board itself (where RasterOps accelerator
>takes up another NuBus slot).  Yes?  No?  Sort of but not quite?  Has
>anybody heard anything to this effect, and if so, what company produces
>this mystery board, and are they any good?  I wanna know...
>
>						- John

This board is made by SuperMac. i don't have the details handy
but a review is printed in the february '90-issue of MacWorld-magazine.

hope this helps,

			   joost.

 Joost Schraag              X
 University of Amsterdam    X	e-mail:	     schraag@fwi.uva.nl
 The Netherlands            X       or:         ...!uunet!mcvax!uva!schraag

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (01/19/90)

In article <5343@bgsu-stu.UUCP> burian@bgsu-stu.UUCP (John M. Burian Esq.) writes:

>I have it from a fairly reliable source that there is another Mac II 24-bit
>color card out, for a price comparable to the RasterOps 264 board.
>Furthermore, said card is reputed to have a (approx $300) Quickdraw
>accellerator that plugs onto the board itself (where RasterOps accelerator
>takes up another NuBus slot).  Yes?  No?  Sort of but not quite?  Has
>anybody heard anything to this effect, and if so, what company produces
>this mystery board, and are they any good?  I wanna know...

SuperMac - call them at (408)245-2202 for info. The board is roughly the
same price as the RasterOps 24-bit board (for the Apple monitor 640x480).
The accelerator is priced around $500 list, (you may get it discounted - look
around). As far as I know RasterOps does not currently sell an accelerator
which is a seperate board (Radius does).

	Paul Campbell

PS: Warning I'm biased, I work for SuperMac, so check it out yourself.
--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
"Why is it that the US can invade Panama but not the Vatican Embassy?"

burian@bgsu-stu.UUCP (John M. Burian) (01/20/90)

From article <450@taniwha.UUCP>, by paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell):

> SuperMac - call them at (408)245-2202 for info. The board is roughly the
> same price as the RasterOps 24-bit board (for the Apple monitor 640x480).
> The accelerator is priced around $500 list, (you may get it discounted - look
> around).

Ok, SuperMac.  Those of you that own them, what do you have to say about them?
Are they reliable?  Fairly compatable with most software packages?  Any funky
little hardware quirks one should know about?  (Once again,) I wanna know...

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (01/23/90)

In article <5343@bgsu-stu.UUCP>, burian@bgsu-stu.UUCP (John M. Burian Esq.) writes:

> I have it from a fairly reliable source that there is another Mac II 24-bit
> color card out, for a price comparable to the RasterOps 264 board.
> Furthermore, said card is reputed to have a (approx $300) Quickdraw
> accellerator that plugs onto the board itself (where RasterOps accelerator
> takes up another NuBus slot).  Yes?  No?  Sort of but not quite?  Has
> anybody heard anything to this effect, and if so, what company produces
> this mystery board, and are they any good?  I wanna know...
>
> 						- John

SuperMac now is selling a 24 bit board to drive the Apple Color monitor
(i.e. 640x480).  I have not seen one, but I have heard they are pretty
good.  You hit on the advantage, they make a QuickDraw accelerator
daughterboard that you can purchase for $500. (The Video Board is $999).

John

mikek@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mike Kranzdorf) (01/24/90)

I have the RasterOps 264 and have recently seen a demo of the SuperMac
version.  From what I saw, the SuperMac wins hands down.  It has
hardware pan & zoom, and large virtual screen sizes when in less than
24 bit mode.  Also, the accellerator make the board very useable in
24 bit, whereas my RasterOps is barely acceptable.  Both purport to
provide RGB NTSC output, but I can't get the RasterOps to speak to a
TrueVision VIDI/O box.  TrueVision says the center frequency on the
RasterOps board must be off slightly, and the VIDI/O box does not
have a large window.  RasterOps has not helped me out much, I keep
getting blown off telephone-wise.  (Can anyone help with this?)
I don't know if the SuperMac is any better or worse in this regard.
The RasterOps gives me very nice colors (better than my Apple card
when both are in 8 bit), but I didn't compare the SuperMac directly
and can't comment on it's power or color.

--mikek
internet: mikek@boulder.colorado.edu
uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!mikek
Alink: D3060