[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Token Ring Troubles

ajauch@paris.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (01/23/90)

This is a semi-follow-up to a previous article "Wierd Network Problem."

I have a PC-Lan from IBM in my office running over Token Ring.  I have recently
purchased a Mac IIcx and *love it*.  However, the Token Ring card from Apple
is not quite as I expected.  I was hoping to achive full access to my current
network through my Mac.  The card and included software do operate as designed
but not the way in which I had hoped.

The way the SMB software is written, you can only access volumes through the
apple file exchange utility (which I got for free from Apple with the Mac).
However, this is not really what I wanted to do.  I would like to allow my
Mac, running SoftPC (which I have) to run network programs such as WP Office
(which I also have for the IBM side).

I need a hack or a product that will allow me to do one of the following:

1.  Allow my Mac to mount PC-Lan volumes like they where AppleTalk volumes.
    I also need printer service so that is a requirement as well.  Apple's
    program does not allow this as far as I can tell.

2.  Run a *full* PC emulation.  This includes cards.  SoftPC is great but will
    not address my Token Ring card.

I can't believe that if Apple can get me into the volumes and SoftPC can run
the programs, that there is not way to do both of these at the same time.

I have heard a rumor that a couple of colleges back east have been using
Token Ring on their Macs.  Can someone from one of these schools get a line
to me and tell me your setup?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Alex Jauch
Administrative Computing (AdCom)
University of California, Irvine
ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu

ajauch@paris.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (01/24/90)

Sorry if this is a Repost!!

mw@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Wohlgemuth) (01/24/90)

In article <25BB8AA7.21469@paris.ics.uci.edu> ajauch@paris.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:

>The way the SMB software is written, you can only access volumes through the
>apple file exchange utility (which I got for free from Apple with the Mac).
>However, this is not really what I wanted to do.  I would like to allow my
>Mac, running SoftPC (which I have) to run network programs such as WP Office
>(which I also have for the IBM side).

I don't know if this will help or not, but I have recently seen reviews of
some software that can be used in place of the apple file exchange utility
and allows a DOS disk to appear on the desk top.  I don't recall offhand
what the name of the software was, but I think the company that makes it
is Dayna.

Mike

ajauch@ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (01/25/90)

In article <21926@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mw@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:

>>The way the SMB software is written, you can only access volumes through the
>>apple file exchange utility (which I got for free from Apple with the Mac).

[stuff deleted]
>I don't know if this will help or not, but I have recently seen reviews of
>some software that can be used in place of the apple file exchange utility
>and allows a DOS disk to appear on the desk top.  I don't recall offhand
>what the name of the software was, but I think the company that makes it
>is Dayna.

This sounds like exactly what I am looking for if it can pick up network
drives.

Does anyone have the name of the software Mike is thinking of?

How about the address or location of Dayna?  Is anyone from that company
listening?

Alex Jauch
UCI, AdCom
ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu