[comp.sys.mac.hardware] When I installed my SIMMs... oops.

6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) (02/01/90)

From article <77800002@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, by thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu:

> Nothing.  Nada.  The floppy didn't even register.  As far as I can tell, the
>  internal floppy drive is not there anymore, according to the Mac.  When I put
>  a disk in, even in the Finder, nothing happens.  FKEY 1 just beeps at me (as
>
> Now.  Is the drive truly dead?  (Did I damage it or something?).  Or did I
>  plug it in the wrong slot upon replugging everything back in after
>  adding my SIMMs?  I am fairly certain that it was in the slot labelled
>  "lower drive", and that the slot labelled "upper drive" was empty.  That's
>  how it is now, but the drive is dead.  And I'm afraid of just wantonly
>  switching to the other slot.  After all, my *hard drive* is in the "upper"
>  hole (physically) of my Mac.  Perhaps I plugged the drive in *upside down*?
>  (But wouldn't that create a huger stir than simple non-existence?)

Well, congratulations on getting the SIMMs in their proper locations.
About the drive...well, this happened to me also.  No sweat.  (For me,
anyway.)  I just plugged in the drive cable into the wrong slot.  If you
noticed when you took out the motherboard, there are two places the
drive cable can go in.  Stick it in the other.
The other possiblility is that some other cable to it is not
well-connected.  This happened to one of the monitors I was checking out
(in an SE).  It came on-and-off at random intervals, at least that is
what it seemed like to me.  Anyway, I just took out the casing and
played with the cables for a while and everything was cool!
Good luck.
  |Puneet Pasrich  |  Internet:  6600bike@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
  |Karate Kid      |  Bitnet:    6600bike@ucsbuxa.bitnet    |
  |'Just do it!'   |                                        |

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (02/01/90)

In article <3802@hub.UUCP> 6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) writes:
>From article <77800002@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, by thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu:
>>
>> Nothing.  Nada.  The floppy didn't even register.  As far as I can tell, the
>>  internal floppy drive is not there anymore, according to the Mac.  When I put
>>  a disk in, even in the Finder, nothing happens.  FKEY 1 just beeps at me (as
>>
>> Now.  Is the drive truly dead?  (Did I damage it or something?).  Or did I
>>  plug it in the wrong slot upon replugging everything back in after
>>  adding my SIMMs?  I am fairly certain that it was in the slot labelled
>>  "lower drive", and that the slot labelled "upper drive" was empty.  That's
>>  how it is now, but the drive is dead.  And I'm afraid of just wantonly
>>  switching to the other slot.  After all, my *hard drive* is in the "upper"
>>  hole (physically) of my Mac.  Perhaps I plugged the drive in *upside down*?
>>  (But wouldn't that create a huger stir than simple non-existence?)
>
>Well, congratulations on getting the SIMMs in their proper locations.
>About the drive...well, this happened to me also.  No sweat.  (For me,
>anyway.)  I just plugged in the drive cable into the wrong slot.  If you
>noticed when you took out the motherboard, there are two places the
>drive cable can go in.  Stick it in the other.
>The other possiblility is that some other cable to it is not
>well-connected.  This happened to one of the monitors I was checking out
>(in an SE).  It came on-and-off at random intervals, at least that is
>what it seemed like to me.  Anyway, I just took out the casing and
>played with the cables for a while and everything was cool!

Do make sure that your cable is fully connected--recently I upgraded an SE to
2.5mb, booted it, and everything was fine.  Later I inserted a floppy, and
the problems started!  The SE ejected the floppy and then gave the message
"Can't read this floppy, do you wish to initialize" (roughly).  If I said OK
or Cancel, the dialog would go away for a while (5 seconds or so) and then
come up again.  If I reinserted the floppy and hit OK or Cancel, the floppy
would eject and the messsage would immediately come up again.  It ended up
being that the floppy cable was a little loose.  I pushed it fully into the
socket, and volia! no more floppy messages!

  Mark

thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu (02/02/90)

Solved!  Already!

Thanks to Jonathan Flamm at Apple -- I'd accidentally unseated the
 cable connecting the drive to the logic board -- but at the *drive's* end.
 I hadn't even considered that there might be a connector at that end,
 so hadn't even looked into that dark hole of wires.

Anyhow, seating it correctly solved the entire problem!  My drive is
 there at last!  *whew*

- Mark Thompson

lucky@melmac.UMD.EDU (Lucky the Cat) (02/02/90)

In article <77800002@m.cs.uiuc.edu> thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
}
}
}Nothing.  Nada.  The floppy didn't even register.  As far as I can tell, the
} internal floppy drive is not there anymore, according to the Mac.  When I put
} a disk in, even in the Finder, nothing happens.  FKEY 1 just beeps at me (as
} do 2 and 0).  I have to paperclip it out if I want it out, because the drive
} is completely dead.
}
}Now.  Is the drive truly dead?  (Did I damage it or something?).  Or did I
} plug it in the wrong slot upon replugging everything back in after
} adding my SIMMs?  I am fairly certain that it was in the slot labelled
} "lower drive", and that the slot labelled "upper drive" was empty.  That's

  Hate to say this, but, have you checked the cable going into the floppy??, more
  times than I would care to remember I have accidentaly pulled the cable half way
  out, it may not look like this but check it, with the power off of course, sometimes
  this toasts the drive, but hopefully not.  Both drive ports on the mother board
  will work just the same.

}Any suggestions?  Any ideas at all?  Or do I have to go pay for a dealer
} to look at it after all?
}
}- Mark Thompson
}  Grad Student in CS
}  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

             Lucky the Cat     aka. Clicker    aka. Chr$
           lucky@melmac.umd.edu   clicker@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu
"We plan ahead, so we don't have to do anything right now" -Kevin Bacon-
							     -Tremors-