[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quantum ProDrive 105 -- is it any good?

riggle@claris.com (David Riggle) (02/02/90)

I've been coveting an internal Quantum ProDrive 105 for quite some time.  What
are your opinions out in netland of this particular drive?  It's rated at the
usual 12ms / 19ms access time.  Its price continues to drop with every issue
of MacWeek.  From the 30th January issue:

Bay MicroSystems, San Francisco, CA (415) 563-8392
$635 (reflects a cash discount)

MacTel Technology, Austin, TX 1-800-950-8411
$685

ClubMac, Irvine, CA (714) 768-1490
$689 (no VISA surchange)

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (02/02/90)

	well, I got one from ClubMac just before Xmas and
	it installed just fine into my dual-floppy SE.

	everything would be fine, except that everytime the
	disk is accessed, the screen wiggles something fierce.

	ClubMac is of no help and simply blames the SE - but
	I don't buy this and wonder if others have had similar
	experiences?

	ClubMac has not "delivered" in other ways, which I do
	not want to go into - enough so, that I would not
	consider buying anything else from them.

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (02/02/90)

In article <1101@hedora.cs.utexas.edu> werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>	everything would be fine, except that everytime the
>	disk is accessed, the screen wiggles something fierce.

There was a thread in this group a couple of months back suggesting
installing hard drives upside down to avoid this problem.  As I remember,
flipping the drive was an easy procedure, although the cable just
barely reached.

Maybe someone else can follow up with more info.

BTW, that's one of many reasons I prefer an external drive: no internal
interference, less heat load on the Mac, easier to install, much easier
to remove for repair, can be carried to another machine for use or
testing.  The all-in-one compactness of a system with an internal is
pretty neat, though.

-john
rieman@boulder.colorado.edu
U. of Colo.

clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) (02/02/90)

In article <10845@claris.com> riggle@claris.com (David Riggle) writes:
>I've been coveting an internal Quantum ProDrive 105 for quite some time.  What
>are your opinions out in netland of this particular drive?  It's rated at the
>usual 12ms / 19ms access time.  Its price continues to drop with every issue
>of MacWeek.  From the 30th January issue:

I bought my Quantum Prodrive 105 from Alliance Peripherals (800)
233-7550. They're great. Works like a charm and comes with EVERYTHING
(sans Torx and cracker) you need to install it, even into a two floppy Mac.

I bought mine for $699, but my friend called two days ago and bought his
for $669. It comes bundled with 3 meg of PD and shareware, and Alliance
includes their own formatting and partitioning software. The dirve
itslef is pre-formatted. Their tech support is very knowledgeable and
their instructions are well laid out.

APS also sells Redux 1.6 with the drives for $30 ($16 less than
MacConnection). I have no complaints. No surcharge on VISA or MC.

Chris

"We have met the enemy...and he tasted GREAT!"

*    Christopher Lye '90       * Usenet: CLYE@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU *
*    Princeton University      * CIS   : 73407,3140                 *