[net.columbia] Delay in Space Telescope

brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (01/14/86)

In article <440@ssc-vax.UUCP> eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) writes:
>From "Space Transportation System Space Shuttle Payload Flight Assignments"
>November 1985 edition.  STS Customer Services, Mail Code MC, NASA
>Headquarters, Washington, D.C. 20546. Telephone (202)453-2347.
>Chester M. Lee, Director.

>Launch         Orbiter         Crew/Days       Payload(s)

>18 Aug 86      Atlantis        5/5             Hubble Space Telescope

I have recently heard that the Space Telescope launch has been delayed
again.  I was told that the telescope was not going to be at KSC until a
month before the current launch schedule.  NASA does not feel that a month
is a long enough time to check out the telescope after its 3 month (?) ocean
voyage from California.  I was told that the launch is now set for
sometime in October.

The Space Telescope, like the Shuttle delays (in delivery) is what happens
when the government gets into the act and reduces the budget.  Sigh!

                        -- Brad Brahms
                           usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
                           arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not reflect those
of my employer.

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (01/14/86)

In article <248@spp3.UUCP> brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
>...the Space Telescope launch has been delayed again.
>
>The Space Telescope, ...  is what happens
>when the government gets into the act and reduces the budget.  Sigh!
                                           ^^^^^^^

>                       -- Brad Brahms

        From what i have been reading in AW&ST and Science and Science News,
wrt the space telescope the govn gets into the act and *increases* the
budget again and again, and again, and again, and...

                Al Algustyniak

>         From what i have been reading in AW&ST and Science and Science News,
> wrt the space telescope the govn gets into the act and *increases* the
> budget again and again, and again, and again, and...

After decreasing it in the beginning, of course, thereby creating the
problems that later lead to a need for increases.

"What happens when a project manager is confronted with a proposition to
do the project for less than it takes, or forget the whole thing?"

"...as an example, one major European [space] program now faces its fourth
overrun crisis.  But factually the project has not exceeded its original,
and undoubtedly realistic, cost estimate.  The original budget was cut with
no change of scope as a condition of acceptance."

	- Del Tischler, "Cost Reduction Potential in Space Program
	Management", Acta Astronautica 11.12 p 741, 1984.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology