[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Analog board fixes needed

rte@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (ralph.t.edwards) (02/02/90)

My old (five years) upgraded 128 is showing signs of immenent
demise of the analog board power supply.

Anyone have one or all of the following?

1. A recommended book on fixing Mac hardware.
   and where to get it.  (ie mail order)

2. A description of common symptoms and their cures.

3. A source for hardware parts or kits to fix boards.

I am a competent solderer, and know how to avoid high voltage.
I also know how to test components, and have fixed my old
Heathkit TV several times, with the aid of their books and
diagrams, so I'm willing to do component level fixes, but need
some guidance.  Thanks for any help.
(201) 949-0685

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (02/04/90)

In article <1799@cbnewsi.ATT.COM> rte@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (ralph.t.edwards) writes:
>My old (five years) upgraded 128 is showing signs of immenent
>demise of the analog board power supply.
>
>Anyone have one or all of the following?
>
>1. A recommended book on fixing Mac hardware.
>   and where to get it.  (ie mail order)

There's only one book:
	Macintosh Repair & Upgrade Secrets
	by Larry Pina

available from Hayden Books (a division of Howard W. Sams & Co.)

ISBN 0-672-48452-8  $32.95
250 pages, Softbound, includes diskette with diagnostic software.

Here's Howard Sams blurb:

"Appropriate for the do-it-yourselfer with no special skills, this book
is a comprehensive upgrade and repair guide for the classic, one-piece
Macintosh.  Easy-to-use diagnostic software for quick performance checks
is included.  Every model is covered including the 128K, the Macintosh SE,
the Lisa 2/5, Lisa 2/10, and the Macintosh XL.

[Note: I should clarify here.  By every model, they mean every One-piece
Macintosh model, not the Mac II series-Owen]

This practical guide deals with less expensive alternatives to complete
circuit board replacement.  Readers who wish to do so will be able to
effect component-level repairs quickly and competently, while those
who would rather not do the work will at least be able to discuss
repairs intelligently with qualified service personnel.  Why pay for
a $250 circuit board when all you really need is a $2 part?"

>2. A description of common symptoms and their cures.
>
>3. A source for hardware parts or kits to fix boards.

Both are in the book.  If you just want to get replacement parts, use
SoftSolutions
907 River Road, Suite 98
Eugene, OR 97404

(503) 461-1136

>I am a competent solderer, and know how to avoid high voltage.
>I also know how to test components, and have fixed my old
>Heathkit TV several times, with the aid of their books and
>diagrams, so I'm willing to do component level fixes, but need
>some guidance.  Thanks for any help.
>(201) 949-0685

Minor Disclaimer:  I know the author, but the reason I know him is because
he showed me how to repair a couple of Macintoshes.  He would come to
our user group meetings and be able to discuss hardware fixes with the
members.  I had a blown power supply and I thought I'd give him a call.
Not only did he fix the supply, but showed me how to do it myself!
This was before the release of his book.

The book contains:
	a disk of software containing "Test Pattern Generator" a program
which will help you to set the screen size and focus on your mac.
	a cardboard ruler by which you can set the screen size to its
intended size.

The book is very comprehensive and well thought out.  Step by step instructions
are included for almost every conceivable repair, including keyboards, mice,
even removal and installation of a replacement CRT.  I would even venture
to say (judging by my experience talking to service people at dealers) that
this book contains more service information than Apple's service course.
I'm assuming that anyone who works in service at an Apple dealer has been
Througt their service course, and, if the best they can do is a board
swap, then this book contains far more information.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."