[net.columbia] Columbia down - one sonic boom

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (01/18/86)

Columbia landed at Edwards this morning just before 6 AM, PST.  In Topanga
(Santa Monica mtns above Malibu, CA) we only heard one sonic boom.  For
each other Edwards landing we've heard two sonic booms, as discussed fully
here and in net.space.  So, what's new with the shuttle and why didn't I
hear two this time?
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) (01/22/86)

In article <2884@randvax.UUCP> jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) writes:
>Columbia landed at Edwards this morning just before 6 AM, PST.  In Topanga
>(Santa Monica mtns above Malibu, CA) we only heard one sonic boom.  For
>each other Edwards landing we've heard two sonic booms, as discussed fully
>here and in net.space.  So, what's new with the shuttle and why didn't I
>hear two this time?
>--
>	Jim Gillogly
>	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim
>	jim@rand-unix.arpa

Sorry to disappoint you Jim, but I live in Simi Valley, closer by 15 miles
than you and I heard, very distinctly the normal two booms.  I must say
that this time I wasn't expecting hearing them since I thought the weather
would clear in Fla. but I was awake when it flew over.  Perhaps the first
one woke you up and you only heard the second one.

			 Jeff Cushner @
			 Citicorp-TTI
			 Santa Monica CA 90405
			 (213) 450-9111 x2273

	      {randvax,trwrb,vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcb!cushner

    ** The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of   **
    ** Citicorp-TTI and if the corporation wants them to, they'll have **
    ** to pay through the nose for the rights!                         **

bees@infoswx.UUCP (01/24/86)

There is nothing new with the shuttles that would effect the sonic
booms.  The shuttles still generate two booms.  It is possible that you
heard only one if:

	a) One was somehow muffled.
	b) They overlapped at your location.
	c) You can't hear.    B-)

Ray Davis
Teknekron Infoswitch, Richardson, TX
infoswx!bees, (214)644-0570

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (01/25/86)

In article <639@ttidcb.UUCP> cushner@ttidcb.UUCP (Jeffrey Cushner) writes:
>In article <2884@randvax.UUCP> jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) writes:
>>Columbia landed at Edwards this morning just before 6 AM, PST.  In Topanga
>>(Santa Monica mtns above Malibu, CA) we only heard one sonic boom.  For
>>each other Edwards landing we've heard two sonic booms, as discussed fully
>>here and in net.space.  So, what's new with the shuttle and why didn't I
>>hear two this time?
>
>Sorry to disappoint you Jim, but I live in Simi Valley, closer by 15 miles
>than you and I heard, very distinctly the normal two booms.  I must say
>that this time I wasn't expecting hearing them since I thought the weather
>would clear in Fla. but I was awake when it flew over.  Perhaps the first
>one woke you up and you only heard the second one.

   If the two sonic booms are generated nearly simultaneously by different
parts of the spacecraft, as would seem likely, then the interval between
hearing the two at the earth's surface would depend strongly on location.
Ahead or behind of the shuttle the sounds would be well separated, but to
the left or right of the flight path the sounds could arrive simultaneously...

   -- David desJardins

kwan@smeagol.UUCP (Richard Kwan) (01/25/86)

In article <639@ttidcb.UUCP>, Jeff Cushner writes:
> Sorry to disappoint you Jim, but I live in Simi Valley, closer by 15 miles
> than you and I heard, very distinctly the normal two booms.

I am not an aero/hydrodyamicist, so I can't speak with authority...

If you look at a ship plowing through a body of water, the bow wave
tends to be very distinct where it meets the bow.  But it seems that
the farther away you get, the more the body of the wave gets spread
out across the surface of the water.  (I think this is likewise for
the stern of the ship.)  After getting very far away from the ship
you would expect the bow and stern waves to each become rather flattened
and start to intersect.  Going out a little further, you should only
perceive one wave.

Now, I'm guessing, because I haven't seen a ship on a sufficiently
still body of water to see the intersection.  In any case, you should
be able to take whatever the two-dimensional hydrodynamic analogy is,
and apply it to the aerodynamics of a shuttle landing with reasonable
safety.

Oh, yes.  I live in the San Fernando Valley.  I remember hearing two
booms.

	Rick Kwan
	JPL

P.S.  Our system has only been on the net for a few months, so I can
imagine someone may have already presented the above arguments.  In
that case, ignore me.