[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac II's vs. PMMU's: what serial numbers don't work

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (02/04/90)

I recall reading in MacWeek that Mac IIs of a certain vintage do not
work with PMMUs.  The screen remains blank.  It doesn't boot.

So I plugged in my 68851 today.  Surprise!  Blank screen.

So, does anyone know Apple's policy on this issue?  What serial
numbers would have been affected?

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu  <<-- damn.

rdominy@palantir.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (02/05/90)

In article <3058@pur-phy> sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto)
writes:
> So I plugged in my 68851 today.  Surprise!  Blank screen.
>
> So, does anyone know Apple's policy on this issue?  What serial
> numbers would have been affected?

Apple's stated policy for these early Mac IIs is supposed to be a FREE
motherboard swap at your nearby friendly Apple dealer (I haven't tested this
personally).  From what I've heard, there is no way to determine by the serial number which Macs are affected.

-------------------------------
Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/06/90)

   writes:
   > So I plugged in my 68851 today.  Surprise!  Blank screen.

   Apple's stated policy for these early Mac IIs is supposed to be a FREE
   motherboard swap at your nearby friendly Apple dealer (I haven't tested this
   personally).  From what I've heard, there is no way to determine by
   the serial number which Macs are affected.

Now for the real question.  Is this "free" motherboard new or
"refurbished?"  I can't stand the thought of inheriting someone else's
abuse and/or neglect.