[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Fax and Mac

kessler%cons.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Robert R. Kessler) (02/05/90)

Would someone explain to me what you get when you attach fax hardware
to a Mac?  Does it allow someone with a "regular" fax machine to send
you documents, when you can then print?  Does it just grab the digital
images of the pages and dump them to the printer?  What if one had a
printer like an HP LaserJet, would you still be able to dump the bits?
What can the Mac end be used for?  Do you have to purchase some kind
of scanner to get a sending letter digitized for transmittal?

Thanks.
B.

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb5.074555.8964@hellgate.utah.edu>
kessler%cons.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Robert R. Kessler) writes:
>Would someone explain to me what you get when you attach fax hardware
>to a Mac?  Does it allow someone with a "regular" fax machine to send
>you documents, when you can then print?

Yes.  They will arrive in TIFF 3 format, which is the standard for fax
documents. You can then send them to a printer, or view them on the
Mac screen.

>Does it just grab the digital
>images of the pages and dump them to the printer?

No, as a general rule, you have to request the printing.

There is also a rather mindless FAX modem on the market that doesn't allow
FAX reception, only FAX sending.  Beware....

>What if one had a
>printer like an HP LaserJet, would you still be able to dump the bits?

As long as you can print Mac documents to it, yes.

>What can the Mac end be used for?  Do you have to purchase some kind
>of scanner to get a sending letter digitized for transmittal?

You could do it that way.  Or you can use a printer driver supplied
with the system that redirects ordinary application output.  You select
the FAX printer using the Chooser, then do an ordinary print on the Mac
from whatever application.  The FAX printer driver captures the output,
sticks it into TIFF files, and spools it for the FAX modem to send.

"I am convinced that cross-posting is an evil Satanic plot."
    -- Eugene Miya on soc.net-people, misc.headlines, misc.kids, misc.misc,
		      news.misc, and soc.misc