[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac SE + Mac '86 + Rappaport + ...

CHRIS.PARSON@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (CHRIS PARSON) (02/06/90)

        I've got this SE that I'm trying to keep useful, and I've been
thinking about turning it into a switch-hitting, bioperating compatibility
box
        I've been considering getting an Orange Micro Mac '86 boa,
coupling that with a Rappaport device and DOS Mounter, thinking that with
such a lash-up of parts I could pop in a 720k DOS disk and boot from it.
Anybody done this?  Use any of these parts?

--
CHRIS PARSON via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!CHRIS.PARSON

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (02/09/90)

In article <40628.25D1A019@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> CHRIS.PARSON@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (CHRIS PARSON) writes:

>        I've got this SE that I'm trying to keep useful, and I've been
>thinking about turning it into a switch-hitting, bioperating compatibility
>box
>        I've been considering getting an Orange Micro Mac '86 boa,
>coupling that with a Rappaport device and DOS Mounter, thinking that with
>such a lash-up of parts I could pop in a 720k DOS disk and boot from it.
>Anybody done this?  Use any of these parts?
>
>--
>CHRIS PARSON via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
>UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!CHRIS.PARSON
>INET: CHRIS.PARSON@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG
If you mean Rapport (from Kennect??), its software loads in as an INIT (31).
Any INITs that load in after that could use the Rapport drivers.  So to "boot"
from Rapport, you really need to boot the Mac to the stage that its loading
in INITs, and then have another INIT that loads after Rapport call DOS mounter,
etc (or maybe have a program that mounts the DOS disks be the startup
application).

I've used Rapport (I wrote the Mac-side software), but I haven't used the DOS
Mounter or the Orange Micro Mac '86 boa, so how to hook it in IS just my
speculation.

Hope this helps some,

Mark