[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIci Parity Detection

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) (02/10/90)

In article <6530@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) writes:

>	FYI -- The IIci (not the IIcx) will do parity detection when fed
>x9 SIMMs.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that all it does with
>that information is to ask you to restart (according to the manual).  I'd
>much prefer to be given a chance to recover from the error.  If I'm working
>on a 2M document on a 32M machine, I wouldn't want a flipped bit where it
>doesn't count to cause me to loose my work.  I think we'll stick with x8
>SIMMs...

  I thought that you had to order parity checking as an "optional
feature" [quote from IIci Owner's Manual] and that it did not come standard
with parity checking ability. Does the IIci automatically do parity
checking when 1x9 SIMMs are used?

   ---Jason
-----

Jason Martin Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet: jason@cs.utexas.edu         | "Disneyland exemplifies the essence of
UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  the American spirit and continues to
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  show us the way to follow our dreams."

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (02/10/90)

In article <1120@gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:
>In article <6530@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) writes:
>>
>>	FYI -- The IIci (not the IIcx) will do parity detection when fed
>>x9 SIMMs.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that all it does with
>>that information is to ask you to restart (according to the manual).  I'd
>>much prefer to be given a chance to recover from the error.  If I'm working
>>on a 2M document on a 32M machine, I wouldn't want a flipped bit where it
>>doesn't count to cause me to loose my work.  I think we'll stick with x8
>>SIMMs...
>
>  I thought that you had to order parity checking as an "optional
>feature" [quote from IIci Owner's Manual] and that it did not come standard
>with parity checking ability. Does the IIci automatically do parity
>checking when 1x9 SIMMs are used?
>
>   ---Jason
>-----

You do need to order a IIci with parity.  In this case, if you DON'T have
parity SIMMs installed, everytime you boot, you'll get a message telling
you that no parity was detected (it assumes that if you have a parity machine,
you'll be using parity SIMMs).

Also note that ALL of the SIMMs need to be parity, or the IIci will turn off
parity--thus having 1mb parity SIMMs in bank A and non-parity SIMMs in bank B
will cause the IIci to assume there's no parity installed (i.e. you've just
wasted the extra cost of the parity SIMMs).

   Mark