[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac CD Rom Drive & Music...

u-atgoat%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alan T Goates) (02/09/90)

  I don't know if any other CD ROM drives do this, but the Apple drive won't
play the music on CDs past about 72 minutes. I have had the thing for a while
now, but I just noticed it when I tried to play a Beethoven disk that was 76
minutes long. It just stopped about halfway from the end of the 4th movement
of the 8th symphony. What a bummer.

  AL

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb9.004036.20961@hellgate.utah.edu>
u-atgoat%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Alan T Goates) writes:
>   I don't know if any other CD ROM drives do this, but the Apple drive
> won't play the music on CDs past about 72 minutes. I have had the thing
> for a while now, but I just noticed it when I tried to play a Beethoven
> disk that was 76 minutes long. It just stopped about halfway from the
> end of the 4th movement of the 8th symphony. What a bummer.

I have a "Mission of Burma" CD that's 80 minutes, 8 seconds long.  It
plays fine.  I've played other audio CDs that were longer than 72 minutes.
I've tested this on two separate drives.  You must have something wrong
with your drive.

The AppleCD SC drive plays music past 72 minutes.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (02/10/90)

In article <6600@internal.Apple.COM>, blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) writes...
}
}I have a "Mission of Burma" CD that's 80 minutes, 8 seconds long.  It
}plays fine.  I've played other audio CDs that were longer than 72 minutes.
}I've tested this on two separate drives.  You must have something wrong
}with your drive.
}
}The AppleCD SC drive plays music past 72 minutes.
}
}--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

The problem is that your head positioner has a 'hangnail' on it.  A little
filing of plastic is probably rubbed off and landed on the positioner.  Mine
did the same thing at 68 min 36 seconds.  After opening the drive, I noticed
this piece of plastic, rubbed it off with a file (gasp!) and it has worked fine
ever since.
Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil