[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apology to APPLE

mdc@spt.entity.com (Marty Connor) (01/28/90)

In article <14033.25beebd3@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> cos842x@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:

>I hereby apologise formally to Apple Computer Australia Pty.Ltd.
>for the content of the messages posted by me on the 31 October,
>1989 and 6 November, 1989 which I was critical of the company and
>which I recommended clone equipment which may infringe patents
>and copyrights owned by Apple.

I wish to formally express my regret that you have been forced to
apologize in this way.  I hope that ACAPL loses lots of money and
whoever made you write these words suffers greatly.

>I have been asked to put on record that the Monash University
>Computer Centre and the University has a significant amount of
>Apple Macintosh equipment and is a satisfied customer of Apple
>Computer Australia Pty. Ltd.

Clearly not all of Monash U. is a satisfied customer, and it seems
stupid for big institutions to force individuals to apologize to make
it seem like "we're all one big happy family".

>Pan Thongvilu.
>Computer System Engineering Officer.

I sincerely hope freedom of speech makes a comeback, because my
country and yours are trying very hard to abolish it.

If you come to Boston, please look me up.

--
Marty Connor, Marty's Computer Workshop,  "Specializing in Macintosh Training"
126 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617) 491-6935

cookson@mbunix.mitre.org (Cookson) (02/01/90)

In article <25C731CD.14568@paris.ics.uci.edu> ajauch@ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:

>I think we should rag on Apple a bit on poor Pan's behalf.  What say ye
>netlanders??

Hey, I think we should rag on Apple on our own behalf.  I used to love
by plain vanilia II, but now that I've started to work with a real workstation,
that isn't really that much more than a IIcx or ci, and one hell of a lot
faster, I've realized just how much Apple has been screwing us with price.
I mean hell, $2000 to upgrade from a II, which was supposed to be able to
be upgraded cheaply and easily, to a IIx which isn't that much better.
Or a customer support staff that won't even talk to you, is not indicitive
of a company that gives a damn about whether or not its private
citizen customers are happy!  No, NeXT time I won't buy a Mac.

Dean Cookson
cookson@mbunix.mitre.org

My opinions are my own,  but if you want to claim responsibility,
go right ahead.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/02/90)

The sad part about a company like Apple (or IBM) is that when you go
the "propriety technology" way, you can easily screw or irritate a
large percentage of your customers without even knowing it -- there
are no second sources.

At the drop of a hat these customers will abandon the product in droves.

erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (02/02/90)

In article <93568@linus.UUCP> cookson@mbunix.mitre.org (Cookson) writes:
>Hey, I think we should rag on Apple on our own behalf.  I used to love
>by plain vanilia II, but now that I've started to work with a real workstation,
>that isn't really that much more than a IIcx or ci, and one hell of a lot
>faster, I've realized just how much Apple has been screwing us with price.
>I mean hell, $2000 to upgrade from a II, which was supposed to be able to
>be upgraded cheaply and easily, to a IIx which isn't that much better.
>Or a customer support staff that won't even talk to you, is not indicitive
>of a company that gives a damn about whether or not its private
>citizen customers are happy!  No, NeXT time I won't buy a Mac.

	Ha! You think you've got it bad? You should try getting
developer support outside America. I had to wait four months to get the
developer CD ROM and our Applelink package won't work with our X25 comms
network. Apple's suggestion is 'Let us sell you a really overpriced
modem with a nice Apple badge on the front." Then there's the warranty.
To get our project going Apple gave us 2 IIcx's. In six months one CPU
box and one monitor have failed. Yup we are being properly shafted by
Scully and co. NeXT time I'm going for a SPARC station.
		Tony

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk

	"If the thunder don't get ya then the lightnin' will."

6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) (02/03/90)

From article <1979@castle.ed.ac.uk>, by erci18@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham):
> In article <93568@linus.UUCP> cookson@mbunix.mitre.org (Cookson) writes:
>>Hey, I think we should rag on Apple on our own behalf.
> 	Ha! You think you've got it bad?...

You know, I think we should abandon the charter of this newsgroup and
go full time to a group for posting individual frustrating experiences
with Apple. Better yet, let's start comp.sys.mac.hardware.flame. That'll
show Apple, those hucksters!

Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (02/03/90)

From article <oZl=APq00Xok084Fxd@andrew.cmu.edu>, by sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas):
>>On the lighter side, I didn't even know there WERE any Apple clones
>>aside from the PINEapple (apple II clones) machines I saw in Hong Kong.
>>Somebody enlighten me.
>>
>>Chris Mauritz
>
> I've seen the Laser 128 in Computer Direct catalogs for a long time now.
>  It's an Apple II compatible, but I'm not sure how compatible it really
> is.  If I remember though it did have a decent price witht it.
>
> = Steve Neas

Schools have been using Laser 128's for a long time (running their Apple II
s/w.)  They are very compatable, (much more than the Franklin Ace, etc.)
The only difficulty with them is that, in order to get more and more
compatable, they have put out a lot of ROM revisions.  This means that if
you get one that's been on the shelf for a while, it may have an older ROM
in it and may not run all the current s/w.  The solution is simple.  Contact
Central Point (Oregon) and get the latest ROM.

| Phil Lindberg	      		 snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| UUCP: ..!uunet!bcstec!tahoma!prl3546       Renton, WA 98056  |
|    Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer (and I not      |
|		 sure they even know I exist....)	       |

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (02/06/90)

From article <1990Jan31.024145.1099@NCoast.ORG>, by allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery):
> As quoted from <oZl=APq00Xok084Fxd@andrew.cmu.edu> by sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas):
> +---------------
> | >On the lighter side, I didn't even know there WERE any Apple clones
> | >aside from the PINEapple (apple II clones) machines I saw in Hong Kong.
> | >Somebody enlighten me.
> |
> | I've seen the Laser 128 in Computer Direct catalogs for a long time now.
> +---------------
>
> How quickly we forget.  Anyone else remember the Franklin ACE I (and the
> lawsuit)?

Central Point (market's the Laser 128) has already gone the lawsuit route
with Apple, AND WON!!  They reverse engineered it and did a much better job
than the ACE.  They've been putting out the Laser for enough years now that
I wouldn't worry about it going away.  Obviously you haven't been following
this situation.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/09/90)

As quoted from <948@tahoma.UUCP> by prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg):
+---------------
| (c'est moi:)
| > How quickly we forget.  Anyone else remember the Franklin ACE I (and the
| > lawsuit)?
|
| Central Point (market's the Laser 128) has already gone the lawsuit route
| with Apple, AND WON!!  They reverse engineered it and did a much better job
| than the ACE.  They've been putting out the Laser for enough years now that
| I wouldn't worry about it going away.  Obviously you haven't been following
| this situation.
+---------------

How quickly we make assumptions, as well... I *am* aware of the Laser 128 and
its implications; my point about the lawsuit was that it was considered a "big
thing" (locally, at least) when it happened, but now some people "aren't aware
of any Apple clones".

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@cwjcc.cwru.edu

ajauch@ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (02/12/90)

In article <1990Feb9.020114.15756@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>As quoted from <948@tahoma.UUCP> by prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg):
>+---------------
>| (c'est moi:)
>| > How quickly we forget.  Anyone else remember the Franklin ACE I (and the
>| > lawsuit)?
>|
>| Central Point (market's the Laser 128) has already gone the lawsuit route
>| with Apple, AND WON!!  They reverse engineered it and did a much better job
>| than the ACE.  They've been putting out the Laser for enough years now that
>| I wouldn't worry about it going away.  Obviously you haven't been following
>| this situation.
>+---------------
>
>How quickly we make assumptions, as well... I *am* aware of the Laser 128 and
>its implications; my point about the lawsuit was that it was considered a "big
>thing" (locally, at least) when it happened, but now some people "aren't aware
>of any Apple clones".
>
>++Brandon

Chill guys,

I assumed at the time I read the original posting that the writer was asking
about Apple *Mac* clones.  Esp since Apple doesn't make the IIe anymore, which
is what I remember the Franklin Ace is a clone of.  I am not aware of any Mac
clones currently on the market.  I am very interested in finding out about
them though!!  (A cheap cx would be great!)

Alex Jauch
ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu