[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What is the "Mac II PMMU problem"? Other questions

uucibg@swbatl.UUCP (3929) (02/14/90)

In article <7496@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>This is probably a _really_ dumb question, but here goes: if you were to have
>one of those Mac II's that freaks out when a PMMU is installed (basically it
>won't work), would you have any problem installing an '030 nubus board (with
>built in PMMU)?

Hmmm, and now for a couple more very dumb questions:  (1) What's this
about some Mac II's freaking out when you put in a PMMU?  I hadn't realized
that this might happen.  It sounds like this has been discussed already so
I'd appreciate it if someone could fill me in.  That question leads to: (2)
how hard or easy is it to install a PMMU in my Mac?  I had always assumed it
was a simple "pop out the HMMU, orient the PMMU in the right direction
(double-checking to make sure), and pop in the PMMU".  Anything I'm missing?

Now for some hopefully more intelligent questions.  However, since I don't
regularly read this newsgroup, I may be retracing old ground, in which case
I happily shut up if I can get a summary from someone.

Removable "hard-cartridges"
---------------------------
I'm considering getting a removable cartridge system for My Mac II (which
has a 40 meg internal Apple drive and 8 meg).  Some of them boast 20ms
access times.  Are these numbers accurate?  This seems like the best possble
way to get a means of backing up my 40 meg drive and also providing myself
with more space to boot.  However there are lots of questions running around
in my puny little brain, like:

* Do the cartridges wear out quickly?
* Do the machines wear out quickly?
* Is everything seemlessly integrated into the Mac's treatment of volumes and
  such?
* Which systems work with both MacOS and A/UX (if any)?
* Will the virtual memory stuff in 7.0 be able to use a cartridge for its
  VM?  Actually, I'd think that this could be a nightmare if you tried to
  remove the cartridge and the the OS decided it needed something off of the
  original cartridge when you were doing something with a new cartridge (can
  you say thrash city??).

I'd also be interested in things like "I got screwed by <manufacturer/seller>
when mine didn't work and they told me to take a flying leap", or "<product
name> is the best thing since sliced bread!", etc.

Accelerators for a Mac II
The title says most of it.  Which ones are good, which ones are bad?  Will
some/all of them work with System 7.0 and virtual memory?  Which ones give
significant performance improvements (if any)?

Just in case you're wondering, a bonus will be coming soon and I'm
dreaming up ways to spend it... :-)

Thanks in advance,
Brian R. Gilstrap
uucibg@swbatl.uucp OR ...!{ texbell, uunet }!swbatl!uucibg