[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Modems?

c9a-ai@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Class Account) (02/13/90)

Anybody out there has any experience with the ProModem 2400M from Promthesius.
Is it any good?

Yan Or
c9a-ai@dorothy.BERKELEY.EDU

andyp@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM (Andy Peterman) (02/14/90)

In article <22014@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c9a-ai@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Class Account) writes:
>Anybody out there has any experience with the ProModem 2400M from Promthesius.
>Is it any good?

I've had a Prometheus 2400 modem (an external one - I'm not sure of the
exact model number) for a little over a year and hate it!!  About half
the time when I make the first call after turning it on, the connection
returns all noise and no valid data.  This has occured on both local and
long distance calls at both 2400 and 1200 baud.  After two or three
tries, however, it works just fine.

I tried sending it back and was sent a different one.  They both had the
same problem.  (By the way, I've tried different phone lines and other
modems).  I tried calling Prometheus and they weren't of any help.
I've kept it this long because I'm too lazy to get another one.  For
local calls, having to call two or three times is just a nuisance; for
long distance calls (I live in a rural area and most of my calls involve
a toll charge) its getting to be a bit expensive.

I'm not sure all of their modems have this problem. I'd be interested in
hearing if others with this modem have had similar experiences.

	Andy

mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) (02/14/90)

>I'm not sure all of their modems have this problem. I'd be interested in
>hearing if others with this modem have had similar experiences.
>
>	Andy

Hi Andy,
	I have an external Prometheus Promodem 2400G and have experienced
none of the problems you have had.  I have had it for about 2 years and
use it daily and for long periods of time.  So far, it has served me
faithfully and well.  I have found it to be neither better or worse than any
other modem I have used (Hayes, Racal-Vadic, etc).  I would pester
Prometheus more until they straighten it out.

Good luck!

Mike