[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 4Mb SIMMs

regan@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Kenneth Regan) (02/07/90)

In article <660@tci.bell-atl.com> kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) writes:
>mitchell@tci.bell-atl.com (Rob Mitchell) writes:
>
>>	Basically, subject says it all.
>
>Has anyone heard anything about when we can get 4MB SIMMS firthe mac
>in quantity?  (for a reasonable price?)

I'm putting four 70ns 1Mb x 9 SIMMs in my Mac IIcx, to augment the four
Apple 120ns 1Mb x 9s already there.  Technology Works assured me that the
speed difference wouldn't matter, and that having the parity chip wouldn't
hurt -- the IIcx would just ignore it.  [Why spend more for 70ns?  Maybe
someone will come up with an add-in that will exploit faster RAM, or the
chips will find another useful home someday.  It's not much more.]

Perhaps more interesting, TW told me they now have 80ns 4Mb x 9 SIMMs in
stock, for only $590 each!!.  We're ordering four for the SparcStation1;
again, TW assured me they'll work in either the high-end Macs or the Sun
workstations or etc.  [Again, I'm a RAM neophyte, and even need to ask:
"Once you specify (speed)(chip size) x (8 or 9), a SIMM is a SIMM in any
machine--right??]

Kenneth W. Regan           			Assistant Professor
Computer Science Dept.				(Opinions not < SUNYaB)
SUNY at Buffalo, 226 Bell Hall			Tel.: (716) 636-3189, -3180
Buffalo,  NY  14260				regan@cs.buffalo.edu

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (02/10/90)

In article <17118@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> regan@castor.cs.Buffalo.EDU.UUCP (Kenneth Regan) writes:
-
-I'm putting four 70ns 1Mb x 9 SIMMs in my Mac IIcx, to augment the four
-Apple 120ns 1Mb x 9s already there.  Technology Works assured me that the
-speed difference wouldn't matter, and that having the parity chip wouldn't
-hurt -- the IIcx would just ignore it.  [ . . . ]

	FYI -- The IIci (not the IIcx) will do parity detection when fed
x9 SIMMs.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that all it does with
that information is to ask you to restart (according to the manual).  I'd
much prefer to be given a chance to recover from the error.  If I'm working
on a 2M document on a 32M machine, I wouldn't want a flipped bit where it
doesn't count to cause me to loose my work.  I think we'll stick with x8
SIMMs...
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (02/14/90)

In article <6530@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) writes:
{In article <17118@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> regan@castor.cs.Buffalo.EDU.UUCP (Kenneth Regan) writes:
{-
{	FYI -- The IIci (not the IIcx) will do parity detection when fed
{x9 SIMMs.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that all it does with
{that information is to ask you to restart (according to the manual).  I'd
{much prefer to be given a chance to recover from the error.  If I'm working
{on a 2M document on a 32M machine, I wouldn't want a flipped bit where it
{doesn't count to cause me to loose my work.  I think we'll stick with x8
{SIMMs...
{--
{Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"

First of all, let me say that I hate parity memory as much as the next
guy...  BUT, I understand its usefulness.  A flipped bit where it doesn't
count will not make you lose work in another area.  Parity is checked on
a READ of memory.  So if you get a parity error, it is either your
current application and associated data, or the Mac OS which had troubles.
What I would like to see is an opportunity to save my document if the
parity error happens in the application.  I realize you can't do this
for the OS.  How about it Apple?

-Russ
--
Russ Donnan  (415) 623-2121
Amdahl Corporation, Key Computer Laboratories, Fremont, CA, USA

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (02/14/90)

In article <1446@key.COM> russ@xanadu.key.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:
-
-First of all, let me say that I hate parity memory as much as the next
-guy...  BUT, I understand its usefulness.  A flipped bit where it doesn't
-count will not make you lose work in another area.  Parity is checked on
-a READ of memory.  So if you get a parity error, it is either your
-current application and associated data, or the Mac OS which had troubles.

	I thought parity is checked whenever the memory is refreshed.
After all, a refresh is pretty much a read-and-write cycle.  But then,
maybe it is much more efficient just to parity check memory that is being
read...