Date: Sun, 11 Feb 90 16:19:45 EST
From: cs132096@cs.brown.edu
Subject: Re: American DRAMs?

I purchased four 1-meg modules from Third Wave Computing for $65 each/
As far as I know, they say they have a 'manufacturing plant' in Texas.
The chips do not say Toshiba on them.  Instead, they have a sign that
reads 'MT'.  I guess that stands for Micron Technology and therefore
the chips are

	M A D E   I N    U S A

If you are not buying for use in a IIci, you can get 100ns for a
couple of bucks cheaper per meg.  By the way, their delivery really
delivers.  I got my 2nd day for only $3.

-Heng

-------------- (BBS advertisement follows) ------------------

Subj:  1MB SIMMs-$67                         90-01-25 13:58:18 EST
From:  The3rdWave                            Msgs:  2 (90-01-25)

1MB 80ns SIMMs (1x8) --$67 (cash) or $68 (credit)
1MB 80ns SIMMs (1x9) --$77 (cash) or $79 (credit)

These SIMMs are manufactured in our own surface mount assembly
facility (in Texas, I might add.)  Satisified customers include
individuals, corporations, & universities all over the world.  In
stock for immediate delivery, lifetime warranty.  Free installation
tool kit for Plus or SE users, & complete illustrated instructions.
Terms: Credit cards or COD Cash (COD company check with approved
credit.)

NO MINIMUM ORDER.  NO PREPAY REQUIRED.  IMMEDIATE DELIVERY, NO WAITING.

CALL TOLL FREE TO ORDER
800-284-0486 or 512-832-8282.

Federal Express Shipping-$3 for 1 or 2 day shipping, $6 for guaranteed
overnight shipping.

Please mention this ad when ordering.

Third Wave Computing, Inc.
1826-B Kramer Lane
Austin, Texas 78758
---

Date: Tue, 13 Feb
From: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu

I just looked in the back of MacWeek, and found two other possible
suppliers.  They are:

1.  Memory Masters, 2023 O'Toole Ave, San Jose CA.  1M by 8, 80ns, low
profile, made in USA, 800-726-2897 (orders) and 408-954-0300 (info)

2.  Newer Technology.  The picture shows Simms stamped "Made in USA",
and the chips are marked Intel, but I suppose Intel is just packaging
foreign chips (Only Micron & TI manufacture domestic 1Mb DRAMs).  The
phone number is 1-800-678-DRAM.

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 10:57:32 PST
From: russ@xanadu.key.com (Russell Donnan)
To: gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu

You can buy Intel 1Mbx8 SIMMs locally for ~$83.  I'm sure you can
get them cheaper, but I was in a rush at the time.  BTW, locally
means SF Bay Area, CA.

-Russ

Russ Donnan  (415) 623-2121
Amdahl Corporation, Key Computer Laboratories, Fremont, CA, USA
russ@key.amdahl.com, ...!{pacbell,sgi,amdahl}!key!russ