[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Will the real 72dpi please stand up?

tim@netlab.cis.brown.edu (Timothy Miller) (02/17/90)

The mac screen is supposedly 72dpi. But if you run an Apple color monitor next
to an Apple monochrome monitor (which has the same pixel dimensions), it's
fairly obvious that the two images (of the desktop, etc) are not the same size.
Does anyone know which monitor is *really* 72dpi? Or are neither of them? Was
the original mac screen really 72 dpi? (I'm just curious about this, BTW).
Thanks,
   Tim

kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (02/17/90)

In article <29613@brunix.UUCP> tim@netlab.cis.brown.edu (Timothy Miller) writes:
>The mac screen is supposedly 72dpi. But if you run an Apple color monitor next
>to an Apple monochrome monitor (which has the same pixel dimensions), it's
>fairly obvious that the two images (of the desktop, etc) are not the same size.
>Does anyone know which monitor is *really* 72dpi? Or are neither of them? Was
>the original mac screen really 72 dpi? (I'm just curious about this, BTW).
>Thanks,

According to the October '89 issue of MacUser, in their review of grey-scale
monitors, the Apple Hi-resolution Monochrome monitor is 76 dpi, the
Apple Portrait Display is 80 dpi and the Apple Two-Page Monochrome monitor
is 77 dpi.  Thus, NONE of the Apple grey-scale monitors display images
at "actual" size.

BTW, I wonder why Apple downplays their monitors by calling them
"monochrome" when they're all capable of at least 16 shades of grey
and the Hi-res "monochrome" monitor can display 256 shades of grey
with Apple's card.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know if the built-in video on the
IIci can drive all of the Apple color and grey-scale monitors, and
if so, are the 1- and 2- page monitors still limited to 16 shades
of grey?  Are there any non-Apple monitors that the built-in video
can handle?

Thanks,

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (02/18/90)

In article <1990Feb16.231217.27252@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>, kanefsky@umn-cs (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>BTW, I wonder why Apple downplays their monitors by calling them
>"monochrome" when they're all capable of at least 16 shades of grey
>and the Hi-res "monochrome" monitor can display 256 shades of grey
>with Apple's card.
>
>Steve Kanefsky
>kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

Mono-chrome: (1) n. [monochroma, fr. L, fem. of monochromos of one color]
		1.  a painting, drawing, or photograph in a single hue
	     (2) adj.
		1. of, relating to, or made with a single color or
		   hue.
		2. characterized by the reproduction of visual images
		   in tones of gray <monochrome television>