[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Replacing a plus 3 1/2 internal with a HD???

lib1966@cuphub.cup.edu (The Doctor) (02/16/90)

	Is it possible to replace the 800K internal 3 1/2 inch in a Mac plus

with a internal hard drive?  I've already got an internal and external 3 1/2

inch, and I wanted to buy a hard drive. I could buy a much larger capacity

internal, then external.  If anyone has heard of this being done, or has done

it, please drop me a line.

Thanks,
	Brent

 *           Brent Liberatore            * Disclaimer : These opinions are my *
 * California University of Pennsylvania *    own, and of my own free will,   *
 *           Computer  Center            *      except if otherwise noted.    *

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/20/90)

In article <4244@cuphub.cup.edu> lib1966@cuphub.cup.edu (The Doctor) writes:
>	Is it possible to replace the 800K internal 3 1/2 inch in a Mac plus
>with a internal hard drive?  I've already got an internal and external 3 1/2
>inch, and I wanted to buy a hard drive. I could buy a much larger capacity
>internal, then external.  If anyone has heard of this being done, or has done
>it, please drop me a line.

Well, provided you could jimmy up the bracket to hold it, I suppose you could
mount a 3.5" HD inside a plus.  One problem, however, is that the plus doesn't
have a SCSI connector on the inside, so you will have to either:

      a.  tap into the backside of the existing SCSI connector. [yuck]
      b.  devise some sort of nifty clip to go on the cpu [double yuck]
      or...
      c.  run your SCSI ribbon cable out the back of the plus case and connect
          it normally to the external SCSI jack.

There is an HD company selling internal Plus HD's that does (c.).  I believe
they're "iDS".

<chaz>

                 Chaz Larson - clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu
"Great Scott! This 9 foot alien woman is a swinger!
 ...and she has the hots for me!!!"                - Flaming Carrot