[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIci HD failures

Jim.Bethin@f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Bethin) (02/15/90)

I have only read one desperate note about Mac IIci hard disk failures (80
Meg). Is this a (quiet) rampant plague?  A friend is thinking of
cancelling his order & reordering w/o the Apple internal 80 Meg.  Thanks.

--
Jim Bethin via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!563!Jim.Bethin

bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce Burkhalter) (02/18/90)

In article <41717.25DC22AF@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Jim.Bethin@f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Bethin) writes:
>I have only read one desperate note about Mac IIci hard disk failures (80
>Meg). Is this a (quiet) rampant plague?  A friend is thinking of
>cancelling his order & reordering w/o the Apple internal 80 Meg.  Thanks.

I bought a IIci without HD and 1 meg of memory because it was a better deal to
get them from a third party.  Right now you can get a Quantum 105 meg for around
$650 and 4 megs of RAM for about $250.  The warrenty on the drive is 3 years
(compared to 90 days from Apple).

Bruce Burkhalter

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (02/20/90)

In article <22222@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce
Burkhalter) writes:
> In article <41717.25DC22AF@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>
Jim.Bethin@f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Bethin) writes:
> >I have only read one desperate note about Mac IIci hard disk failures (80
> >Meg). Is this a (quiet) rampant plague?  A friend is thinking of
> >cancelling his order & reordering w/o the Apple internal 80 Meg.  Thanks.
>
> I bought a IIci without HD and 1 meg of memory because it was a better
deal to
> get them from a third party.  Right now you can get a Quantum 105 meg
for around
> $650 and 4 megs of RAM for about $250.  The warrenty on the drive is 3 years
> (compared to 90 days from Apple).

I second this. You can easily save $300, and end up with 5M of RAM /
105M hard disk, instead of 4M/80HD. Also, note previous discussions
about 5M machines tending to be faster (if the built-in video is used).

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu