[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIxi

kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (02/20/90)

In article <11507@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> torch@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Jay Finger) writes:
>I friend of mine, who works at one of a major oil corporation's research labs,
>(I'm not naming names here), told me today that he approved a requisition for
>a Mac IIxi.  He's not exactly a computer type, so he didn't pay attention to
>things like amount of RAM or the size of the hard drive (but there was a drive,
>I'm guessing with an Apple nameplate).  The price on the thing was $12,000.
>That probably includes the company's standard 24% discount (off of list).
>
>How do I know that the 'x' wasn't a typo?  A note scribbled on the bottom
>of the requisition said "this machine won't be announced for another month
>yet, so call back then to verify the price".
>
>Can anybody tell me what this machine might be (besides the obvious (vague)
>guess that it's a faster IIci)?

The IIxi has already been front-page news in MacWeek.  It is essentially
a beefed-up IIx, just as the IIci is a beefed-up IIcx.  It will be a
six-slot, 33 or 40 mhz 68030-based machine, and there should be an
upgrade path from the IIx.

In addition, other features rumored to be included in the IIxi include:

o  A processor direct slot, only slightly incompatable with that of the SE/30
o  A direct memory access SCSI chip
o  A RAM cache slot

and...

o  NO on-board video