[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Macintosh-->ProDOS

mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) (02/20/90)

	I KNOW!!  There is an unwritten law stating that cross-posting
between Mac and Apple newsgroups is forbidden, but this question has to
do with both.

	I am having the darndest time trying to transfer files from the
Macs in the computer lab to my //gs in my room.  Before you go through
the trouble of thinking of some elaborate scheme I should use or
something I forgot, let me list what I know:

-I know these files should be Apple compatible because I download them
from comp.binaries.apple off of our VAX 11/780 (soon to be a Sun 3... I
hope :-).  Yes I realize these need to be BinSCII'ed (BinHex in Mac
terms) and un-Shrinkit'ed (un-Stuffit'ed for the Mac) and I
successfully converted BinSCII from VAX to Mac to Apple, but when I
ftp'ed sumex for Shrinkit and eventually converted it, it didn't work!
(Note: the BinSCII was a text file which I executed, when then produced
the real BinSCII (not like you Mac users know what th' he|| I'm talking
about :))

-Forget about any kind of direct link between //gs and VAX because...
	(1) I have no communications program, and
	(2) I'm NOT lugging my gs all the way to the computer center
	    unless I absolutely HAVE to.

-I've used Apple File Transfer 'till I'm blue in the face and still
nothing.  Does BinHex do the same job as BinSCII (for those of you who
are bi-lingual)?  Is there something on the VAX which does the same job
as BinSCII (forget about uuencode/uudecode)?

	Any help on the subject (mail or post) would be greatly appreciated.

Neil McNeight			|"Does anyone know where the love of God goes"
Class of 1991			|"When the waves turn the minutes to hours"
Choate Rosemary Hall		|	-Gordon Lightfoot
Wallingford, CT			|	'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'
Real Home: Marine City, MI	|---------------------------------------------
Real Life: Still searching	| Even!if!I@knew.my.path,I!wouldn't.tell!YOU!

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/20/90)

If you left the files as text until you got them to the //gs, then few
things could go wrong, and those would be:

	binary mode used by FTP, so all returns in the file are actually
line feeds (unix uses linefeeds instead of returns).
	AFE (which is too F*cking slow because it thinks a prodos disk is a bad
quantum) might have used its default translation (it shouldn't) which would
preserve the linefeeds...
	even then, binscii should walk right past them without any problems.

could you describe exactly the method you've been using, and where the problems
show up?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (02/21/90)

In article <1011@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:
> -Forget about any kind of direct link between //gs and VAX because...
>         (1) I have no communications program, and
>         (2) I'm NOT lugging my gs all the way to the computer center
>             unless I absolutely HAVE to.
>
> -I've used Apple File Transfer 'till I'm blue in the face and still
> nothing.

     .. You could probably keep on using AFE " 'till I'm blue in the face"
and never get anywhere .. The file that resides on comp.binary.apple (or
whatever) is a text file .. Regardless of where that file ends up it will
always be text .. That means it's text on the Vax on a Sun on a Mac on an
IBM on an Amiga and on an Apple ][ .. There is no need to use AFE .. In
fact if you do use AFE it takes this data which is for an Apple ][ and
treats it like it was a Mac file (trouble begins here) .. Now we take this
file and convert it to Apple ][ format using AFE (why?? it was in A ][
form to begin with) .. You now have a file filled with garbage That is
useless to any and all machines ..

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (02/21/90)

In article <1011@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:

>... I
>ftp'ed sumex for Shrinkit and eventually converted it, it didn't work!

Are you sure you got Shrinkit and not Stuffit?  As far as I know, sumex
only carries Mac software.  Try ftp'ing to husc6.harvard.edu or
him1.cc.umich.edu to get Shrinkit.

>...Does BinHex do the same job as BinSCII (for those of you who
>are bi-lingual)?  Is there something on the VAX which does the same job
>as BinSCII (forget about uuencode/uudecode)?

BinHex and BinSCII are different.  There is source code (in C) for a
program called sciibin, which you can get from husc6 (in the Unix directory).
If you compile this prog on your VAX (soon to be a Sun), you can un-Binscii
files on the VAX and download them as binary.  However, it's probably
easier (but slower) to just download the text files (binscii'ed) to your
Mac and then un-Binscii them on the Apple II.

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu
Sophomore Computer Science Major       Bitnet:    huang@husc4.BITNET
Mather House 426, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc4.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu