[comp.sys.mac.hardware] That agonizing startup music -- RAM gone bad

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) (02/21/90)

A few minutes ago I started getting random bombs at random memory locations,
so eventually I rebooted and got that wonderful magic music signifying bad
RAM on POST.

Since MultiFinder loads apps into high memory first, I guessed that it was
the high 4M RAM gone bad and pulled it; now the machine works fine.

Question: what's the best way to find out which SIMM went bad? Am I stuck
with swapping them in and out to see which one kills the machine? Will a
dealer do this for me with some magic tool that doesn't require him opening
my Mac (and charging me for doing so) ?

Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier]) (02/22/90)

In article <4016@hub.UUCP>, by me, I wrote:
> Question: what's the best way to find out which SIMM went bad? Am I stuck
> with swapping them in and out to see which one kills the machine? Will a
> dealer do this for me with some magic tool that doesn't require him opening
> my Mac (and charging me for doing so) ?

A certain Apple tech (who shall go nameless since it's possible he wasn't
supposed to tell me behind the backs of the oh-so-friendly Apple dealer
network) suggested that I reseat each SIMM in its happy little socket before
deciding one of them was bad. So I did, and I appear to have 8M RAM again.

One theory I have concocted is that the problem is heat-related, and only
time will tell, I suppose, if that is the case. The initial failure occurred
after days of the machine being on and after nearly a month of burn-in for
the chips. So I don't think it's the heat, but then again maybe my fan is
plotting against me and turns itself off whenever I leave the room.

Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills