[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIxi upgrade cost - any estimates?

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (02/21/90)

I'd been considering upgrading my Mac II to a IIx when Apple goes
and announces the IIxi and the possibility of upgrading to it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how much the upgrade will cost (with
or without the floppy drive)?

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

rgm@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Menke) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.035112.6032@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM
(David Elliott) writes:
>I'd been considering upgrading my Mac II to a IIx when Apple goes
>and announces the IIxi and the possibility of upgrading to it.

On a different note, is there any possibility of a direct upgrade from
a II to a IIxi?

"It is a pity that you Autobots die so	|  Robert Menke
 easily... otherwise one might get a	|    rgm@OCF.berkeley.edu
 sense of satisfaction..."		|    Robert.Menke@bmug.fidonet.org

rich@sdchemf (Richard Kanner) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.221530.5038@agate.berkeley.edu> rgm@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Menke) writes:
>In article <1990Feb21.035112.6032@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM
>(David Elliott) writes:
>>I'd been considering upgrading my Mac II to a IIx when Apple goes
>>and announces the IIxi and the possibility of upgrading to it.
>
>On a different note, is there any possibility of a direct upgrade from
>a II to a IIxi?

According to MacWeek 13 Feb 1990 Title -->

	 "Six-slot Macs get upgrade path with IIxi"

On price I would guess $7000 based on the price of $10K quoted in
the article, for the IIxi with 4 Meg RAM and 80 Meg HD.
Subtract $3K for HD, Ram and case and end up @ $7K.
A great deal at twice the price.

					R. Kanner
					UCSD

cantie@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bruce Cantie) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.221530.5038@agate.berkeley.edu> rgm@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Menke) writes:
>In article <1990Feb21.035112.6032@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM
>(David Elliott) writes:
>>I'd been considering upgrading my Mac II to a IIx when Apple goes
>>and announces the IIxi and the possibility of upgrading to it.
>
>On a different note, is there any possibility of a direct upgrade from
>a II to a IIxi?
>

>"It is a pity that you Autobots die so	|  Robert Menke
> easily... otherwise one might get a	|    rgm@OCF.berkeley.edu
> sense of satisfaction..."		|    Robert.Menke@bmug.fidonet.org

[Flame on]
Did I miss somethig? Are these two asking almost the same thing...one the
price and the other if you can do it??? Yes you can do...price MacWeek did
not state it.
[Flame off]

Bruce Cantie              Internet:  cantie@cs.Buffalo.EDU
LAN Systems               uucp:      ..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!cantie
301 Computing Center      BITNET:    cantie@sunybcs.BITNET
University Of Buffalo     BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVMS.BITNET

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (02/23/90)

Did anyone else get the impression that a different, perhaps not as readily available and
even non-standard, type of SIMM was going to be used in the IIxi?

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)
					  (malczews@nunki.usc.edu)