[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 14"+ monitor for Mac SE/30

mckenney@talos.pm.com (Frank McKenney) (02/22/90)

My parents recently purchased a Mac SE/30 for their own use,
after several years working with a 128K Mac. The SE/30 uses the
same tiny 9" monitor that the 128K Mac does, and I would like to
find a larger display for them which would be easier on their
eyes.

I can purchase an IBM-compatible 14" monochrome TTL monitor for
under $120.  I can buy an IBM-compatible 14" ANALOG VGA (640x480)
monochrome monitor for $140.  But I can't find an inexpensive
Mac- compatible monitor.  I don't need higher resolution - just
bigger pixels in a larger viewing area.

Is anyone aware of a source for an inexpensive 14" or larger
monitor which is compatible with the SE/30?

Alternatively, is anyone aware of a method for adapting an IBM
TTL or analog monitor for use with an SE/30?

Frank McKenney
Frank McKenney, President  | {uunet,rti}!talos!mckenney
McKenney Associates	   |   mckenney@talos.pm.com
3464 Northview Place	   |   guest account - access
Richmond, Virginia 23225   |  provided as a courtesy by
USA     (804) 320-4887	   |     Philip Morris USA

rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb21.234643.20616@talos.pm.com> mckenney@talos.UUCP (Frank McKenney) writes:
>My parents recently purchased a Mac SE/30 for their own use,
>after several years working with a 128K Mac. The SE/30 uses the
>same tiny 9" monitor that the 128K Mac does, and I would like to
>find a larger display for them which would be easier on their
>eyes.
>
>I can purchase an IBM-compatible 14" monochrome TTL monitor for
>under $120.  I can buy an IBM-compatible 14" ANALOG VGA (640x480)
>monochrome monitor for $140.  But I can't find an inexpensive
>Mac- compatible monitor.  I don't need higher resolution - just
>bigger pixels in a larger viewing area.
>
>Is anyone aware of a source for an inexpensive 14" or larger
>monitor which is compatible with the SE/30?

Even if you did buy a 14" monitor for $140 for a PC, it would be worthless
without a video card to drive it, which would add to the cost.  Thus,
your comparison isn't really valid.  Even if you could hook up a larger
monitor, it would not display any more information since that is controller
by the video circuits.  What you need is a video card AND a monitor.

Assorted companies are now selling video card & monitor combinations
for the SE/30 that will get you a full page display for about $800.
I haven't seen too many 14" monitors advertised, but if you get a
video card for $500 and a 14" monochrome monitor for $??, you might
get in for less.

Look in recent issues of MacWorld, MacUser, & MacWeek magazines.
If memory serves, Mirror Technologies and Ehman Engineering are two
such companies.

Ray Fischer
rcfische@polyslo.calpoly.edu