[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need recs on Mac purchase: Apple II GS compatability needed

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (02/24/90)

A friend of mine wants to purchase a computer for his son, who has about 2
years left before high school.  The software the son uses is Apple II GS, but I
would be much more useful and be of more use in high school.  Is there any (not
incredibly expensive; price _is_ an issue here, since the II GS is much
cheaper) way to run II GS software on a Mac Plus or SE?  I've heard there was
some product called "II in a Mac", but don't know much about it.

(BTW, he'd like to purchase the computer in the next 2 months or so, so waiting
for a new Mac from Apple which might run II software is not really practical).

Any info, _much_ appreciated!  Thanks!!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (02/24/90)

In article <7798@tank.uchicago.edu>, I wrote...
[...]
>A friend of mine wants to purchase a computer for his son, who has about 2
>years left before high school.  The software the son uses is Apple II GS, but I
                                                                           ^^^^
>would be much more useful and be of more use in high school.  Is there any (not

What I _meant_ to say was: "but I think a Mac would be much more useful and be
of more use in high school."

Again, any info on using Apple II GS software in a Mac would be appreciated.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/25/90)

In article <7801@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Again, any info on using Apple II GS software in a Mac would be appreciated.

I don't think that this is possible, unless you are willing to wait until
next year to see if Apple releases a low-cost Mac aimed at schools that
includes //gs compatibility.

I have a Mac, and I bought the Mac by trading in my //gs.  I use a
program called "][ in a Mac" to run //e programs and to run the //e
version of Appleworks.  Although ][ in a Mac is a really neat program,
it is too painful and slow for frequent use.  I use it mainly to transfer
data stored on Apple ][ disks to a Mac format disk (by cutting & pasting
under multi-finder).

The fundamental difference between the //gs and the Mac is the CPU chip.
They have completely different instruction sets, which means no chance
for any type of compatibility other than by having a //gs on a card.
Coprocessor cards are usually about as expensive as buying both machines
(for example, the PC card for the Apple //e costs more than most PC
clones).

I found that switching from the //gs to a Mac was made easier becuase
of the large body of fantastic public domain and shareware programs
available for the Mac.

You will be able to use some of your //gs accessories with your new
Mac.  I was able to use a //gs disk drive with my Mac, along with my
ImageWriter and the //gs external stereo speakers.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john