[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Can Mac Plus use 1.44 Meg floppy drive?

jbowe@bbn.com (John Bowe) (02/21/90)

Is it possible to install a 1.44 Meg floppy in a Mac Plus in place of
the 800K drive?  I asked a couple people, and of course some said "yes"
and some "no".  If yes, is it just a hardware swap, or is there more
to it?  (I'll summarize if I get more than a couple email replies.)

	-john-		<jbowe@bbn.com>

prg@bonnie.ATT.COM (Paul R. Gloudemans) (02/22/90)

In article <13526@slate.BBN.COM>, jbowe@bbn.com (John Bowe) writes:
> Is it possible to install a 1.44 Meg floppy in a Mac Plus in place of
> the 800K drive?  I asked a couple people, and of course some said "yes"

I believe the upgrade for a MacII requires a ROM swap as well so I
doubt you'll have much success with a Plus.

jbowe@bbn.com (John Bowe) (02/27/90)

Last week I posted a note asking for advice on putting a 1.44 Meg
(FDHD) floppy drive on my Mac Plus.  The answer is "not very easily",
much as I had expected.  Here are the replies I got:

[ Thanks for the replies, guys!  -john- ]

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 18:41:57 PST
From: Noah Price <noah@apple.com>

No.  The 1.44 Meg floppy (FDHD, or SuperDrive) requires the "SWIM" (Super
Woz Integrated Machine) floppy disk controller found in the Mac IIx, Mac IIcx,
Mac IIci, SE/30 and new SE.

noah

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 11:18:47 EST
From: Michael Bergman <bergman@m2c.org>

Kennect technologies makes a box to do this.  (They make a drive as
well) As I understand it, the problem is that the drive controller on
the Mac doesn't understand the higher density floppies.  If you add
Kennect's drive controller (it plugs into the floppy port) it will
take over control of your internal drive whenever a high density
floppy is inserted, allowing you to *read* high density floppies, I
believe in either mac or ibm format, at the cost of a slight delay
(the time it takes the internal controller to decide that it doesn't
recognize the disk and generate an error code, which is what tells the
Kennect box to take over).  You will not be able to use the low
density drive to write, however.  To do that, you need either a
external apple or third party drive, or an external kennect drive.  I
suspect that you could install an apple HD drive internally, and have
the Kennect controller plugged in and it would work, but did not
discuss this particular configuration with Kennect, so I can't say for
sure.  If you used a HD external drive AND the Kennect controller, you
would have one extra -- the ability to read and write 2.4 Meg (or
thereabouts) floppies, using the standard HD diskettes, and to read
and write 1.2 Meg onto standard DD diskettes.  Apparently IBM has a
more compact coding scheme for data, and apple uses the more efficient
variable speed drives -- Kennect's controller can use either of these
formats, OR BOTH AT ONCE.  The latter results in the super high
density, without exceeding the specs for the diskette.  Presumably you
can do this with any HD drive, not just Kennect's, if you have the
Kennect controller.  I got this information from an engineer at
Kennect's booth at MacWorld Boston.  The one thing the Kennect drive
and controller CANNOT do is act as a boot floppy.  Annoying, eh?
Apparently this was plain and simply an engineering error, one which
was discovered too late to correct, and is not going to be corrected
(as of last August -- who knows what they're up to now--call them if
you think they do)

Hope this is of help.

From: Erik Adams <adams.e@oxy.edu>
Date: 21 Feb 90 09:05:39 PST

Apple offers no upgrade (I think), which says to me "no, you can't just
swap disk drives".  There are, however, several third party devices that
give a plus or an SE a 1.44 floppy.  Some run off the SCSI, but one
I know of runs off the normal drive port, and adds some functions to
the internal drive.
Sorry I don't know any of the names, I don't have a copy of MacUser handy.

Erik

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 14:42:46 -0800
From: "Raymond C. Fischer" <rcfische@polyslo.calpoly.edu>

No, and yes.  The 1.4M floppy drives require a SWIM chip to drive them
at the higher data rate.  No Mac+ has this chip, and so you cannot
just swap drives.  However, some company (Kennect?) sells a doohicky
that does let you connect an external 1.4M drive.

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 10:08:22 EST
From: Geoff Crooks <gbc@med.unc.edu>

Hi john.
I think (operative clause here) the answer is no.  You can't even put the
1.44 Meg floppy into an old 800K SE without upgrading (ROM?) I know cuz I
tried it.  If you get a definitive techie answer, though, I'd appreciate
it if you'd pass it along.. maybe even post to the net.
Geoff.