[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Anyone built SID yet?

root@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (02/14/90)

 Has anyone actually constructed a "sound input device" as described in the
SID documentation yet? I'd be interested in the following:
1) any problems encountered with the schematic or construction
2) any software gotchas
3) a source for the ceramic resonator listed in the parts list. I can't find
   this thing anywhere. The factory, muRata Erie, won't sell direct, and all of
   their distributors have minimum orders of $200.

Thanks,
Chuck Shotton
cshotton@girch1.hsch.utexas.edu
...!buster!brain!root

arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) (02/20/90)

> Has anyone actually constructed a "sound input device" as described in the
> SID documentation yet? I'd be interested in the following:
> 1) any problems encountered with the schematic or construction
> 2) any software gotchas
> 3) a source for the ceramic resonator listed in the parts list. I can't find
>    this thing anywhere. The factory, muRata Erie, won't sell direct, and all
>    of their distributors have minimum orders of $200.

I ran into the same problem... I can't find a source for the ceramic resonator
and also the quad op amp.  I'd be interested in sources or substitutes if
anyone knows of them.

John Arvidson
arvidson@euclid.math.colostate.edu

cc4b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Brian Cox) (02/21/90)

>I can't find a source for the ceramic resonator and also the quad op amp

The Quad Op Amp is available from Jamco Electronics
Part # TL064CN
Cost $1.49 each (Spring 1990 catalog)

I'm still trying to find a resonator or an alternative.
CHris

ksmith@andrew.ATL.GE.COM (Karl Smith) (02/22/90)

In article <MZsWyjG00Ui04Kw3F7@andrew.cmu.edu> cc4b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Brian Cox) writes:

>>I can't find a source for the ceramic resonator and also the quad op amp
>
>The Quad Op Amp is available from Jamco Electronics
>Part # TL064CN
>Cost $1.49 each (Spring 1990 catalog)
>
>I'm still trying to find a resonator or an alternative.
>CHris

I sent mail to one of the authors on GEnie, and received the following
reply. I've been short on free time recently, and haven't tried it yet.

---
Item    6229855                 90/02/01        19:53

From:   D.FLECK                         David C. Fleck

To:     K.SMITH9                        Karl J. Smith

Sub: SID parts

Karl,
Best answer I can give you now is the following:
Replace the resonator with a crystal from JAN Crystals (813) 936-2397
1.5578 Mhz, HC33U case, parallel resonant, 20 pF load cap., .005%
approx. $10 and 2-3 weeks lead time. this will also require circuit changes
as follows:
remove R2 1K resistor and replace with a short.
Change C2&C3 from 100pF to 33pF (DigiKey PN P4018).
You might try using left over 22pF's first.
I have the parts on order to double check the circuit but have not yet.
Sorry for the inconvenience and additional cost. JAN was the fastest
source with a reasonable time that I could find. They specialize
in small quantities.

Regards,
Dave

rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (02/22/90)

 "Ceramic Resonator"?  Took me awhile to figure out that you
 guys were talking about a CRYSTAL.

 Anyway, you might try either

     JAN crystals
     800-JAN-XTAL

 or

    International Crystal Manf Co.
    405-236-3741

 Or better yet, someone redesign it to use one of the standard
 tv color burst crystals available from Radio Shack (easy for me
 to say...  :-) ....

 I'd be very interested in a PC board if one turns up and someone
 would post the source...

  - Bob Wier                             Northern Arizona University
   summer:Ouray, Colorado                 winter:Flagstaff, Arizona
   USENET: ...arizona!naucse!rrw  | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX  | WB5KXH

jdu@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (john.d.unruh) (02/23/90)

In article <4790@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu.UUCP (John Arvidson) writes:

>I ran into the same problem... I can't find a source for the ceramic resonator
>and also the quad op amp.  I'd be interested in sources or substitutes if
>anyone knows of them.
>
>John Arvidson

I have looked at the schematics.  From what I saw, I think that the ceramic
resonator is just being used as the frequency determining component for the
oscillator portion of the circuit.  I don't know of any reason that this
part has to be used rather than a crystal cut for the proper frequency.  After
all, what that part of the circuit is doing is developing a square wave to
clock the next device (don't have schematics handy and don't remember what it
is).  This is frequently done using some inverters and a crystal.  I expect
that some circuit modifications other than just putting in a crystal at the
proper frequency might be necessary to make it work properly.

John Unruh

al@io.cs.pittsburgh.edu (Alan Martello) (02/27/90)

Well, my solution which I am attempting (my order is in the mail) is to
use e 3.000 MHz Ceramic Resonator from Digi-Key and just divide it by 2.

Yes, I know that will NOT give me 1.558 Mhz but 1.5 Mhz but heck, for
$1 for the resonator plus .39 for the flip flop, it is worth a try.

From my superficial reading of the hardware description, it sounded
like the mac was being externally clocked by my chosen frequency,
so it (hopefully) won't matter if I'm ~3% low.

Flames to /dev/null, but constructive criticism/feedback to comp.sys.mac.hardware

       Alan R. Martello        Electrical Engineering Dept.
        al@ee.pitt.edu           University of Pittsburgh