[comp.sys.mac.hardware] [comp.sys.mac.hardware] Adaptec 4010 SCSI<==>ST506

mt@cleo.cs.wisc.EDU (Manolis Tsangaris) (02/21/90)

In article <11041@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu>, cspencer@spdcc.COM (Cliff
Spencer) writes:
> I am familiar with Adaptec's ACB 4000 from Suns. This board lets
> you hook PC disks up to a SCSI interface. I have a sheet from a
> surplus store advertising  the ACB 4010 as a similar board for the
> Mac. Does anyoe have any experience with it?

Yes I do. I have a system with a 30Mbyte Miniscribe and an Adaptec 4010
ST506<->SCSI controller. The disk was formatted using a public domain
program called SF&I (available from sumex.stanford.edu).

The driver implements a good subset of the SCSI commands, and it works
satisfactory. In terms of transfer speed, SCSI evaluator gives a very low
figure (something like 6-10Kbytes/sec!), even though :

* the controller does track buffering
* I use the highest possible clock for the transfers, and
* the interleave factor is 1:1.

Maybe the poor old 8085 of the controller is not fast enough,
or most likely the driver does not do its job efficiently.
Blind SCSI tests (that I thing bypass the driver) do not work correctly
on the MAC (MAC II, System V.6.0.4).

A major problem of the driver/formatter, is that it does not support
partitioning, and the use of a second drive (The 4010 supports two
ST 506 drives that show up as Logical UNits 0 and 1).
Additionally it does not include any sources.
The MAC system software does not seem to have a notion of LUN's, so you must
cheat it by presenting the two disks as (at least) two partitions.

A public domain driver from Leo Drizis (March 1989) could be a good
start for an effort like this.

Now, why ACB 4000(A) would not work on a Macintosh?

--mt

mas@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Mike Smith) (02/27/90)

In article <11041@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> cspencer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) writes:
>I am familiar with Adaptec's ACB 4000 from Suns. This board lets
>you hook PC disks up to a SCSI interface. I have a sheet from a
>surplus store advertising  the ACB 4010 as a similar board for the
>Mac. Does anyoe have any experience with it?

3Com uses the Adaptec 4520A to hook CDC's ESDI drives to their file server,
the 3C500.  I have hooked one up to my MAC II (it doesn't fit inside the
MacBox, so it looks funky).  Trouble is, I haven't found a SCSI formatter
and installer that I can configure the disk table.  I do have utilities
to check out the drive, and it is working.  I've even managed to format
it as a Rodine (but corrupted the partition tables).

3Com used a similar setup for its older servers and MFM drives.  I don't
know what controller they used, however.

If anyone knows a good was to format odd MacDrives, I'd appreciate hearing
from them.

Michael Smith