[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Where can I buy Telebit

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (02/19/90)

Okay, well I think I'm going to buy a Telebit Trailblazer or T1000
modem for my Macintosh II.  Telebits support all the low mundane
speeds 2400 bps and below and if you run in PEP mode with another
Telebit you can get up to 9600 for the T1000 and 19.2 for the Plus.

Telebits are real popular so I shouldn't have too much problem being
compatible at 9600 and above.  Besides... V.32 modems are fairly
expensive.

So where to buy one of these things brand new for real cheap?  Any
recommendations?

bobr@netcom.UUCP (Bob Rieger) (02/20/90)

Netcom Services passes Telebit modes through to there users at cost.
The current prices are as follows:

	T-1000            500.00
        Trailblazer +     845.00
	T-2500            940.00

You can get more info by logging into the guest account.
	(408) 249-0290     2400/1200
	(408) 249-0576     9600

	login as guest,  no password required.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//  Bob Rieger               Netcom  -  Online Communication Services  //
//  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  //
//______________________ JUST SAY NO TO VMS __________________________ //

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (02/21/90)

In article <8377@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
>Okay, well I think I'm going to buy a Telebit Trailblazer or T1000
>modem for my Macintosh II.  Telebits support all the low mundane
>speeds 2400 bps and below and if you run in PEP mode with another
>Telebit you can get up to 9600 for the T1000 and 19.2 for the Plus.
>Telebits are real popular so I shouldn't have too much problem being
>compatible at 9600 and above.  Besides... V.32 modems are fairly
>expensive.
>So where to buy one of these things brand new for real cheap?  Any
>recommendations?

 1. There is no such thing as a cheap Telebit.
 2. The USR Courier HST 14.4 modem is faster than a Telebit.
 3. Depending on your specific needs, in the BBS world there are
 far more HST's out there than Telebits.
 4. For the somewhere near the same $$ you can buy a USR HST dual Standard
 and get HST and V.32 compatability and still be faster than Telebit.
 5. The Telebit modems are notoriously hard to setup, they have more
 registers than I care to think about..

 Bottom line...if you want speed, get an HST...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (02/22/90)

From article <1358@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM>, by ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger):
> In article <8377@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>  1. There is no such thing as a cheap Telebit.

      So how much $$ are Dual Standard HST's.

>  2. The USR Courier HST 14.4 modem is faster than a Telebit.

       Only to another HST 14.4. But this is the same with Telebits
     in PEP mode. How much faster is it than the Telebit and why?

>  3. Depending on your specific needs, in the BBS world there are
>  far more HST's out there than Telebits.

      So you think there is more than the "BBS" world. Very good
   at least your learning.

>  4. For the somewhere near the same $$ you can buy a USR HST dual Standard
>  and get HST and V.32 compatability and still be faster than Telebit.

    Ok, I guy just posted you can get TB2500 for 940.00 Which gives you
  V.32. How much is the HST Dual Standard?

    What is the uucp throughput?

>  5. The Telebit modems are notoriously hard to setup, they have more
>  registers than I care to think about..

    Than don't think, you may hurt yourself....
    Just because it has more registers in the modem dosn't make it
    more difficult to setup. I only had to set 5 registers on my
    TB to set it up. Real hard huh?

>  Bottom line...if you want speed, get an HST...

    As if it where the only bottom line....
  I belevie the original poster was shopping around for "cheap" Telebit
  modems. All you did was get on here and say buy a HST Dual standard
  because it's faster and you can get it for the same price. Yet you
  didn't give any details. If you going to play the pseudo advertisement
  game at least come up with some data and or reasons why. You sound like
  a used car salesperson with your statements above. Just because "Norm"
  says dosn't mean people will. A good comparison or a well written
  technicial description of the product has a chance of getting saved
  to a file.:-)

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (02/23/90)

In article <1003@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <1358@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM>, by ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger):
>> In article <8377@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
>
>>  1. There is no such thing as a cheap Telebit.
>      So how much $$ are Dual Standard HST's.
	Depends on whether you want retail or sysop pricing. I don't
	have the price list available as I write this reply, so if
	there is some interest in HST pricing, I'll post it.

>>  2. The USR Courier HST 14.4 modem is faster than a Telebit.
>       Only to another HST 14.4. But this is the same with Telebits
>     in PEP mode. How much faster is it than the Telebit and why?
	The reason that the newer HST's are faster than Telebit's
	as I understand it us due to the higher DTE to DCE rate of
	38.4K instead of 19.2K. You are partially correct that the
	higher speeds available are between two 14.4K modems. The
	highest speeds I've seen reported is over 1700cps and I've
	achieved 1600cps on my Mac. The highest I recall for Telebit
	is about 1500cps, however if someone wishes to submit there
	results....
>>  3. Depending on your specific needs, in the BBS world there are
>>  far more HST's out there than Telebits.
>
>      So you think there is more than the "BBS" world. Very good
>   at least your learning.
	Snide comments are not your forte....
>>  4. For the somewhere near the same $$ you can buy a USR HST dual Standard
>>  and get HST and V.32 compatability and still be faster than Telebit.
>
>    Ok, I guy just posted you can get TB2500 for 940.00 Which gives you
>  V.32. How much is the HST Dual Standard?
>
>    What is the uucp throughput?
	As I indicated above, I don't have HST pricing Handy, however
	if there is interest, I'll post it. I personally don't have
	answers for uucp thruput.
>>  5. The Telebit modems are notoriously hard to setup, they have more
>>  registers than I care to think about..
>
>    Than don't think, you may hurt yourself....
>    Just because it has more registers in the modem dosn't make it
>    more difficult to setup. I only had to set 5 registers on my
>    TB to set it up. Real hard huh?
 	While you have had to only adjust a few registers for the
	communications you happen to do, I know of others that have
	had a significantly harder time than you did getting their
	modems to connect with anything including other Telebits.
	Glad yours was easy. Your snide comments are still beneath you
	however.
>>  Bottom line...if you want speed, get an HST...
>
>    As if it where the only bottom line....
>  I belevie the original poster was shopping around for "cheap" Telebit
>  modems. All you did was get on here and say buy a HST Dual standard
>  because it's faster and you can get it for the same price. Yet you
>  didn't give any details. If you going to play the pseudo advertisement
>  game at least come up with some data and or reasons why. You sound like
>  a used car salesperson with your statements above. Just because "Norm"
>  says dosn't mean people will. A good comparison or a well written
>  technicial description of the product has a chance of getting saved
>  to a file.:-)
	I think I have come back with a reasonable reply, that does not
	mean to say that there is not room for more discussion. However
	While the original poster may have been looking for a Telebit,
	he if I remember correct he did not specify for what, so perhaps
	in his situation the HST might be better for him if there were
	a dicussion of the pros & cons of the modem. My Initial posting
	listed some reasons why I think the HST is a better buy. Telebit
	owners that may not have experience with HST's recently or at all
	are bound to disagree or concur depending on the knowledge of both
	modems. I had a Telebit for several weeks, had problems connecting
	to several other Telebit modems that I tried to call, had to
	configure a number of registers to initiate some connections
	and did not exactly get the speed I was expecting from it. My
	14.4K HST was faster...

--

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (02/23/90)

> 	While the original poster may have been looking for a Telebit,
> 	he if I remember correct he did not specify for what, so perhaps
> 	in his situation the HST might be better for him if there were
> 	a dicussion of the pros & cons of the modem. My Initial posting

I'm the original poster.  I'd be interested in US Robotics pricing and
capabilities.  I believe that USR has a V.32 modem which costs around
$800 and supports both high-speed HST mode and V.32 communications.

I guess I was a little vague about my needs.  I would like to have a
V.32 modem to be compatible with the world's emergent standards.  USR
V.32 modems got excellent reviews in a recent copy of Mac User
although they didn't score high points for reliable communications.
I've heard people grouse about the unreliable USR "Dual Standard"
modems.  Is this the same as the V.32 modem I just mentioned?

The Telebits did score highly for reliable communications.  Also the
Telebit T1000 in PEP mode can do 9600 bps communications for only
$560.  And they're reliable.  That's an attractive option.  And a lot
of users in my area use PEP.  That's another plus.

The big downfall of the Telebits (other than the T2500 which is much
too expensive for me) is that their high-speed communications is
strictly half-duplex ... not even V.29 with backchannels or anything!
And the high-speed mode is prorpeitary.  These factors make SLIP
communications almost impossible.

So I might go for Telebit for price and speed with other Telebits or a
low-priced V.32 for compatibility and conformity.

Can someone recommend a low-cost USR dealer?

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (02/24/90)

In article <8390@potomac.ads.com>, jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:
>I guess I was a little vague about my needs.  I would like to have a
>V.32 modem to be compatible with the world's emergent standards.  USR
>V.32 modems got excellent reviews in a recent copy of Mac User
>although they didn't score high points for reliable communications.
>I've heard people grouse about the unreliable USR "Dual Standard"
>modems.  Is this the same as the V.32 modem I just mentioned?

     Yes.  I think your pricing is a bit optimistic, though.  We just
purchased a USR V.32, with an educational discount, for $804.  Are they
going for much less?

>Can someone recommend a low-cost USR dealer?

     Well, we got ours from R-Squared in Irvine.  If the net consensus is
that this is a decent price, I'll post the particulars.

 /----------------------------\ /----------------------------------------\
| John Price                   | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |
 \----------------------------/ \----------------------------------------/
 /----------------------------\ /----------------------------------------\

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (02/25/90)

> 2. The USR Courier HST 14.4 modem is faster than a Telebit.

Sure.  There's also such a thing as a purely "American" car too.
It all depends on what you're doing.

> 3. Depending on your specific needs, in the BBS world there are
> far more HST's out there than Telebits.

In the rest of the world, there are far more Telebits than HST's.

> 4. For the somewhere near the same $$ you can buy a USR HST dual Standard
> and get HST and V.32 compatability and still be faster than Telebit.

Doing what?  9600 bps > 18k bps?  Granted, my Math degree is only a BS,
but I can't see this one.

> 5. The Telebit modems are notoriously hard to setup, they have more
> registers than I care to think about..

I see --  configurability is a negative feature.   It would be much
better to remove all that silly functionality and buy 110 baud acoustical
couplers instead.

Steve.Bloom@f947.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Steve Bloom) (02/27/90)

I'm not sure that my message belongs in this echo, but I have a used
Telebit Trailblazer Plus I'll sell you relatively cheap.

--
Steve Bloom via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!947!Steve.Bloom