[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SCSI Hard drive installation help needed

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) (03/01/90)

I have just recieved Seagate ST-125N (20MB SCSI) and need to
get some information so I can install it to my SE.

1.  Does anybody know where I can get an Internal SCSI cable
    for the Mac SE?

2.  Where can I get a SCSI formatting program and which one do
    I use (are there any parameters required?).

Thanks for your help,

Chandra Bajpai
topgun@brandeis.cs.edu

ronniek@cs.tamu.edu (Ronnie Killough) (03/02/90)

In article <1990Mar1.001442.3171@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> hobbit@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Patrick Wall) writes:
 >I am having a problem making a file system on my external hard drive. I
 >followed the directions given in the Installation Guide, but when I get to
 >the step that makes a file system, I get this error:
 >	Disk write c5d0s2  Error: More Data than SCSI device requested
 >	Logical block (block number), physical blocks (block number, block
 >	number).
 >
 >After three such messages for the same block, I get this:
 >	Generic Disk c5d0s2 retry limit exceed : Logical block (block
 >	number), physical blocks (block number, block number)
 >
 >I'm running A/UX 1.1 and trying to create the file system on a 50meg partition
 >on a Micropolis 158meg drive formatted with Silverlining.
 >
 >Is the drive incompatible with the generic driver under A/UX?
 >I have also tried with mkfs1b, but I still get errors although not as many.
 >	Thanks in advance,
 >		Craig Struble

I am having the same trouble with an EMAC FS150 drive...I posted the problem
a couple of weeks ago but got little response, although Tony Cooper from
Stanford said there is a program he wrote called scsi-fix-error-page from
sumex-aix.stanford.edu that fixes the problem.

Local people here suggested buying Silverlining and partitioning the drive
with it, so I ordered it and am waiting for it to come in before trying
Tony's solution.  Now I'm concerned that Silverlining won't fix my problem
(since Craig IS using Silverlining), and I've wasted $100.

So, I'm about to ftp scsi-fix-error-page and try it.

I apologize for the following 'filler' lines, but our piece-of-crap
new program is griping about not having enough lines in my article...
I always thought the more succinct, the better.  I guess not.
That's piece-of-crap NEWS program, not new program.

filler
filler
filler
filler