[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Advice needed for Mac II purchase

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (03/01/90)

Hi all:

      My group is considering the purchase of a Mac II.  We can get a good
price for it - $2999 for a base IIcx (we don't really need the speed of a
IIci).  This system comes without a hard drive or monitor.  We will be
using it mostly for text editing (with TeXtures or OzTeX) and graphics
(CAD, probably). The questions I have are:

     1) How good are Apple's 40MB hard drives?  I can get one for $400.
I'm looking for specs with respect to access time and MTBF.  I'm also
considering an external removable drive.  I have a Mirror 45MB removable on
my Mac+ at home, and I'm pretty happy with that.

     2) How is Apple's 13" color monitor?  That comes for $670.  Are
full-screen and two-page screens really as great as they say?  Do either
TeXtures or OzTeX support the larger screens?  Are there any that support
color?

     Please respond to me via Email, and I'll summarize.

 /----------------------------\ /----------------------------------------\
| John Price                   | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |
 \----------------------------/ \----------------------------------------/

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (03/02/90)

In an article of <28 Feb 90 17:30:56 GMT>, jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John
Price) writes:

 JP>  This system comes without a hard drive or monitor.  We will be
 JP>using it mostly for text editing (with TeXtures or OzTeX) and graphics
 JP>(CAD, probably). The questions I have are:
 JP>
 JP>     1) How good are Apple's 40MB hard drives?  I can get one for $400.

 DON'T get a 40 meg drive.  If you are doing any amount of large file text
editing you'll need the extra space - particularily if doing DTP.  Typically
the difference between a 40 and an 80 is a couple of hundred. In any case - buy
a third party Quantum.

 JP>     2) How is Apple's 13" color monitor?  That comes for $670.  Are
 JP>full-screen and two-page screens really as great as they say?  Do
 JP>either
 JP>TeXtures or OzTeX support the larger screens?  Are there any that
 JP>support
 JP>color?

It's a top-notch monitor but you'll be just as happy with a 14" Magnavox at
$510.  Their portrai monitor tho' is first class and while the dual page is
also good - it seems overpriced.  I'd go with a SilverScreen unless your prices
are discounted through Apple.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org