[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 320 MEG Hard Disk FOR SALE

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (02/26/90)

I almost sold this, but the potential buyer could not come up with the $$'s,
so, here we go again:

********   MUST SELL   *********     NEED MONEY    *********

Newbury (Maxtor mechanism) 380 MEG formatted to 320 MEG.
SCSI inerface
28 ms access time
External case/power supply  with Macintosh cable.
Ontrack formating/partitioning software for the Macintosh.

This drive is about one year old and has received little usage.  It is in
absolutely perfect condition.

First offer around $1000 takes it.

Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU
UUCP:      {rutgers, texbell}!ksuvax1!harry!paryavi	Manhattan, KS  66506

werner@zephyr.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (02/26/90)

> Newbury (Maxtor mechanism) 380 MEG formatted to 320 MEG.
> 28 ms access time

	Saiid, is this one of the 3380s we bought about a year ago
	for $1,100 when Newbury went out of business in this country?

	most everyone had heat-problems with these drives, including
	me (mine is currently refusing to cooperate with any consistency).

	I just decided to buy a Maxtor 4380, which is equivalent to
	the Newbury 4380 (which I also bought one copy of last year)
	and which while not of the latest technology, the 4380 is
	at least one generation more recent than the 3380 and gives me
	the same 380/320meg but at 18msec....

	The 4380s, while just as noisy and heavy, seem to be very reliable,
	and the special price I got the Maxtor at was only $1,100...

	given that pretty soon there will be noone providing maintenance
	for the Newbury, I sure feel sorry for whoever runs into problems
	with one of those (including me, the owner of 2 of 'em).

	oh, if you get 2 requests for your drive, tell the second one
	that I'm willing to let go of my 3380 even for a little under
	$1,000, given that I don't trust it a whole lot ...

				Cheers,		---Werner

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    		werner@cs.utexas.edu

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (02/27/90)

In article <3508@zephyr.sw.mcc.com> werner@zephyr.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>> Newbury (Maxtor mechanism) 380 MEG formatted to 320 MEG.
>> 28 ms access time
>
>	Saiid, is this one of the 3380s we bought about a year ago
>	for $1,100 when Newbury went out of business in this country?
>
>	most everyone had heat-problems with these drives, including
>	me (mine is currently refusing to cooperate with any consistency).

	< stuff deleted >

>	given that pretty soon there will be noone providing maintenance
>	for the Newbury, I sure feel sorry for whoever runs into problems
>	with one of those (including me, the owner of 2 of 'em).
>
>	oh, if you get 2 requests for your drive, tell the second one
>	that I'm willing to let go of my 3380 even for a little under
>	$1,000, given that I don't trust it a whole lot ...
>
>				Cheers,		---Werner

Werner, if you were stupid enough to put your drives in inadequate cases to
cause overheating, don't assume everyone else did the same!  I have no idea
what you have done with your drives and how you have treated them, but that does
not mean every one of them is bad.  My friend and I bought two of them and
for the past year have not had any problems whatsoever.  Sure, I had problem
with mine in the beginning since my Mac + would refuse to boot from it, but
I soon found out that was a cable problem and now the Mac + boots from it just
as any other Mac.

The drive I am selling is not a piece of hacked together hardware forced to work
with questionable software.  It is an elegant combination of drive, powerful
power supply, sufficient cooling, and of course, formatting and partitioning
software that make it all happen.

And yes, I will give a one year written warranty to the person who buys it from
me.  During this year, if anything at all goes wrong with the drive, I will
have it fixed at my own expense.

Werner, turn green with envy!!!

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			CIS Department
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall, KSU
UUCP:      {rutgers, texbell}!ksuvax1!harry!paryavi	Manhattan, KS  66506

werner@zephyr.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (03/02/90)

re: concerning this wonderful Newbury 3380 that Saiid wants to sell "real
	cheap" ..... it may be worth your while to consider the following:

	CSC, corporate systems center, in Sunnyvale, 408-737-7312,
	a pretty stable-looking wholesale-var-oriented liquidator,
	has acquired the ch 11 miniscribe 9380s in mass quantity.
	They are offering one-year warranty themselves, and the
	price is:

		1  1095
		5+  995
		50+ 895
		100+  "call".

	They are also selling them fully fit into nice-looking tall
	0-footprint cases (fan?) for $1295 each.

	The say 1990 production.

	I have no interest in or further knowledge about CSC.