[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 512K Mac -> 2MB Mac

gjohn@Neon.Stanford.EDU (George H. John) (03/06/90)

My apologies, this must have been posted before, but...

I'd like to end up with a Mac (plus or SE) with 1 or 2 MB, either
by paying millions of dollars to an authorized dealer or by
buying used equipment.

From what I know about Macs, it seems that memory upgrading is fairly
common and easy.  Is it possible to buy a 512K Mac (used) and upgrade
the memory to 1MB or 2MB?  Will it then be equivalent to a Mac Plus?
Or is there another hardware difference?

"My ignorance is my own, not my university's..."
--George

gjohn@Neon.Stanford.EDU (George H. John) writes:

>From what I know about Macs, it seems that memory upgrading is fairly
>common and easy.  Is it possible to buy a 512K Mac (used) and upgrade
>the memory to 1MB or 2MB?  Will it then be equivalent to a Mac Plus?

Yes. In fact, I've done it. I happen to hae a 512Ke upgraded to 2Meg and a
SCSI, which is now surplus since we just bought a IIci. I need to sell it
one of these days.

Anyway, if you take a straight Mac 512Ke and toss in a Dove 548s, you end up
with a 2 meg macintosh with a SCSI port. Nice system, cheaper than upgrading
via Apple. Runs fairly warm, so I recommend a fan.

>Or is there another hardware difference?

The only known difference between this and a Mac+ is that some 512Ke's have
older versions of the clock chip minus the Xpram. Causes the "sound" cdev in
6.0.x to not function -- you can't set the sysbeep. And there happens to be
an INIT available that adds that functionality back. (and it runs 6.0.4,
since I've been doing it, so you can play with all the latest software).

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil -- Shelley