[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Fan Controller

RBAUER@oregon.uoregon.edu (Robert Bauer) (03/03/90)

I was able to get the Nova fan controller for 15% off from Soft Solutions,
907 River Rd., #98, Eugene, OR   97402 @ 503-461-1136.  The only catch
is that it had to be against a credit card or COD.  They also have batteries
for the clock, which may be of interest to some...

quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark Quinn) (03/07/90)

In article <16719@oregon.uoregon.edu> RBAUER@oregon.uoregon.edu (Robert Bauer) writes:
>I was able to get the Nova fan controller for 15% off from Soft Solutions,
>907 River Rd., #98, Eugene, OR   97402 @ 503-461-1136.  The only catch
>is that it had to be against a credit card or COD.  They also have batteries
>for the clock, which may be of interest to some...

This is good news, as I think that the controller is too expensive at
the $89.95 price listed by Nova/EuroComm.  Of course, it is still too
expensive at the 15% off (which works out to $76.45).  Is there an
alternative?  I have heard before that there was.  I hope this hasn't
been discussed before (or if it has someone can summarize for me), but
since I would love to quiet my Mac II down, is the Nova better than the
Radio Shack 273-243 (or whatever, I have the # at home) fan?  Well,
yes, of course it's better, but is it better enough to justify the
price?  My situation is I have a Mac II with Sony PS and only a video
card.  My questions are:

Is the RS fan output the same CFM as the Mac II fan and just quieter, or
is it less but considered adequate?

Can I replace the Mac II fan with the RS fan easily on my SONY
powersupply?

Are there instructions for this replacement?

Should I spring for the Nova Fan Controller?

Thank you sincerely, -- Clark

Clark N. Quinn						(412) 624-9581
Learning Research and Development Center		quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh				quinn@pittunix.bitnet
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (03/07/90)

In article <22746@unix.cis.pitt.edu> quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark  Quinn) writes:
>Is the RS fan output the same CFM as the Mac II fan and just quieter, or
>is it less but considered adequate?

It's less, but the standard fan has to put up with the possibility of
a fully-loaded system.  If you don't have 6 cards, two floppy drives,
and a hard disk, it's probably fine.

I replaced my fan about a year ago, and I have never had a heat problem
because of it.  The air coming out is never perceptibly warmer than the
room air.

>Can I replace the Mac II fan with the RS fan easily on my SONY
>powersupply?

As I recall, the Sony is slightly tougher to work with (the fan is
in a tighter spot), but it can be done.

>Are there instructions for this replacement?

Yes.  Dave Platt was the last person to post them as I recall (at least
that's where I got it).  I have a copy I am sending you.

>Should I spring for the Nova Fan Controller?

That depends on two things:

	1. How much does the fan noise bother you?

	2. How much louder is the fan than the disk?

If the noise bothers you, you will get more relief from the fan
controller, since the RS fan still runs at normal speed all the time.
If you have a loud hard disk, quieting the fan won't stop the
noise, so the cheaper solution is probably fine.

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (03/07/90)

In article <22746@unix.cis.pitt.edu> quinn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Clark  Quinn) writes:
>been discussed before (or if it has someone can summarize for me), but
>since I would love to quiet my Mac II down, is the Nova better than the
>Radio Shack 273-243 (or whatever, I have the # at home) fan?  Well,
>yes, of course it's better, but is it better enough to justify the
>price?  My situation is I have a Mac II with Sony PS and only a video
>card.  My questions are:
>
>Is the RS fan output the same CFM as the Mac II fan and just quieter, or
>is it less but considered adequate?
>
>Can I replace the Mac II fan with the RS fan easily on my SONY
>powersupply?

	A note of caution about the Radio Shack fan: there are TWO part
numbers for this fan: 273-243A and 273-243B. The fans are rated the same in
terms of air volume and current drain, but there is an important
difference between the two: the "A" fan uses ball bearings, and the "B"
fan uses sleeve bearings. The "B" fan tends to get noisier as time
passes, and if you stand the Mac on end (in a stand), the "B" fan will
start to scream.

	Be sure to get the "A" fan. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued,
but if your dealer has old stock, you're in luck. I've bribed my local
Radio Shack store to hang on to any they find.

	Another note: my machine is full of stuff - internal hard drive,
and accelerator, both of which run pretty hot. I supplemented the power
supply's fan with a smaller 2-inch fan which I drive in parallel with the
hard disk. It seems to keep things pretty cool...

R.
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."