[comp.sys.mac.hardware] V.32 Modem, For Cheap!

yossie@marque.mu.edu (02/27/90)

I read on this newsgroup an article that mentioned MultiTech Systems.  So I
called up 1-800-555-1212 and got their number - 1-800-328-9717.  Next I rang
them up and found out that they don't sell their V.32 modem (model number
932EA) to the public directely, but through dealers.  They were kind enough
to look up a dealer for me (in my case Avnet Computer in Wakeshaw Wisconsin
414-796-2400).  They also quoted me a list price on the modem at $1099 but
said it would probably be less from a dealer.  I called up the dealer and
was quoted a much more resonable price - $680.  They are sending me an
information packet so I can see what the modem does and decide based on that.
I will forward what information I get, but meanwhile it might pay to call
MultiTech and find out who your local dealer is and go that path.  The price
seems quite resonable, based on mailorder prices for similar products!

- Yossie

pwp@shamash.cdc.com (Peter Poorman) (02/27/90)

In article <9670@marque.mu.edu> yossie@marque.mu.edu (Yossie Silverman) writes:
>I read on this newsgroup an article that mentioned MultiTech Systems.  So I
>called up 1-800-555-1212 and got their number - 1-800-328-9717.  Next I rang
>them up and found out that they don't sell their V.32 modem (model number
>932EA) to the public directely, but through dealers.  They were kind enough
>to look up a dealer for me (in my case Avnet Computer in Wakeshaw Wisconsin
>414-796-2400).  They also quoted me a list price on the modem at $1099 but
>said it would probably be less from a dealer.  I called up the dealer and
>was quoted a much more resonable price - $680.  They are sending me an
>information packet so I can see what the modem does and decide based on that.
>I will forward what information I get, but meanwhile it might pay to call
>MultiTech and find out who your local dealer is and go that path.  The price
>seems quite resonable, based on mailorder prices for similar products!

We have about a zillion MultiTech modems, and have nothing but good things to
say about them.  The modems work great, and the service and technical
support are fantastic.  (They even fixed one that had been melted by lightning.
Cost -- $50!)  They've offered several ROM upgrades which added new features
(such as MNP level 5) for very reasonable prices.  I give 'em a big thumbs-up!

No connection except as a (very) satisfied customer.

--Pete
  pwp@shamash.cdc.com

Randy.Shaw@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Shaw) (03/10/90)

Ditto. The MultiTech V.32 is a great modem. I am using 3 of them to connect
some installations, and they are peachy. I am using one right now, and
getting great speed. Thumbs up, indeed.

--
Randy Shaw - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Randy.Shaw